web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Dating Daryl

On the way to my blind date, I asked my friend Scott just how old Daryl is. I've asked this question before and Scott would give some vague answer like probably 40 something, but that I look young and age doesn't matter when you get to be our age. Because I know that's not true for most men, I felt uneasy.

Now that we were in the car on the way to the date and there was no backing out, Scott said that he would try to find out his age. A couple of phone calls later, it was revealed that Daryl is around 37. Have I mentioned that I'm almost 50? I wanted to open the car door and jump into traffic. I was imagining how Daryl was going to react to me. I felt sorry for the poor guy for being fixed up with me. This is not low self-esteem talking, by the way. If Daryl was my age he would be lucky to have me, but not many young men want significantly older women.

Daryl, by the way, was great. If he asks me out, I will say yes. He appears to be a normal, stable human being. There is nothing flashy or insubstantial about him. The lighting in the restaurant was soft and flattering, but he must realize that I'm older. If he sees me in the cold, hard light of day, he might run for his life, assuming that I even make it to round two in the dating game. Wish me luck. I'll let you all know if he calls.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 03:55:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I am so glad everything went well. It's not often blind dates turn out to be actually human!!

 
At 1/29/2006 05:23:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

He's human allright, but such a young one.

 
At 1/29/2006 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

I don't think you look a day over forty.
Glad to hear the date went well!

 
At 1/31/2006 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks Karen and HP, but although I may look good for my age, I can't pass for thirty-something. Next time I'm going to insist on knowing my date's exact age before the date.

 
At 1/31/2006 12:44:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

You are almost 50!!!! No way!! You wear well gal is all I can say and you go for it with the younger man....PG is 'substantially' younger than me and we never give it a thought ;o)

 
At 1/31/2006 07:02:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Gemmak. I hope that Daryl feels the same, but if he doesn't, I understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home