web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tit For Tat


Why do doctors remove healthy ovaries? Most of the patients who have hysterectomies in my hospital come back missing a pair of ovaries. If they were diseased, I could understand it. I could even understand it if the patient had a strong family history of ovarian cancer. What I don't understand is why healthy ovaries are being removed routinely.

My patient today is a perfect example. She is a healthy woman in her early forties and had a hysterectomy due to heavy bleeding from fibroids. Even before the surgery, the plan was to remove the ovaries for no expressed reason. (The picture is of what they removed.) The ovaries were perfectly healthy.

This woman will now go through sudden menopause with all of the accompanying risks of early menopause. Hormones will help, but they are a poor substitute for what the body produces naturally.

I'm just guessing, but maybe it's easier and faster to remove the whole package, rather than tie off and leave behind the ovaries. If anyone knows why this is happening, I would really like to know.

If ovaries are being removed because it's one less type of cancer a woman might be faced with, than I think that men should receive the same favor. If a man has surgery near his pelvic area, than his testicles should also be removed routinely. What's fair is fair. Tit for tat and all that. Just kidding. (I think.)


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 1/26/2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

How the **** did you get that picture?!

 
At 1/26/2006 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

HP, I wish that I could trade health care systems with you.

Sarah, the uterus was just lying around on a counter, so I took a picture of it. Seriously, there was a photo in the chart. I'm not sure why doctors like to take pictures of these things.

 
At 1/26/2006 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I don't know why either. They did it to my mom too. That is a huge reason I opten for a cryoablation rather than a hysterectomy--I was afraid they'd take my ovaries. Scary stuff.

 
At 1/26/2006 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Looks quite a bit different than I would have expected. I got to keep my ovaries (here, they aren't allowed to just remove things without your permission).
I remember my room mate and I were very disappointed when we got the surgical reports to read and we found out that the darn thing only weighted 180 grams.

 
At 1/27/2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yikes!! I wish you'd post a warning sign on these photos LOL!

Thankgoodness i still have all my bodily bits!

 
At 1/27/2006 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

R2Ks, I'm glad that a less invasive approach worked on you. My mom also had an unnecessary hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries about 30 years ago and she's still mad.

Karen, Doctors need consents to remove things here also, but what they normally do is get a consent for a possible removal of the ovaries. They will tell the woman that they will leave the ovaries if they look okay. The ovaries, according to the doctor, almost never look okay and so are removed.

Michelle, I have been using remarkable restraint with my photos. You should see the ones that I have not used. I'm glad that I still have all of my original parts also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home