web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Busted, No Pants And Poop

She had her nerve showing up. It's the weekend and she should have been home, but our boss decided to come to work. She caught us all doing nothing. I was in a dark, empty room watching the Oscars. A coworker had her feet on the desk and was reading a novel. Others were sitting around chatting and eating. I was in charge and this was the kind of ship I run. At least she didn't say anything. I don't think that she's totally unfamiliar with the concept of doing nothing either.

__________________________________

A patient who had been involved in a car accident came up to our floor from ER and I asked an aide to do an inventory of his belongings. He had the usual stuff, a top, jacket, shoes, etc., but he had no pants. The aide was upset by this. I don't know if she thought that he had been going around without pants or what. I explained that ER probably cut off his pants and threw them away.

Hopefully, when he's discharged, a family member will bring some pants for him. Patients, especially young males, hate leaving in a gown. It threatens their shaky masculinity to wear anything that resembles a backless dress.

When I admitted him, I had to ask the routine questions, which includes asking when he had his last bowel movement. He didn't know what this meant and English was his first and only language. When I rephrased the question to ask him when he last pooped, he got it. I'm glad he knew what poop was. I wasn't looking forward to going down the entire list of slang words until I found one he knew.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 3/06/2006 02:38:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ahh yes, "poop", the universal language :o)

 
At 3/06/2006 04:46:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

What the hell is wrong with your boss showing up on a Sunday night? Doesn't she have a life, that greedy loser?! She could have stayed home to watch the oscars alone and been better off.
I had to discharge a patient from ICU who was homeless and the only clothes he had were soaked with urine and smelled really bad. I brought him a pair of clean sweats and socks, even though it was against the rules. Sometimes you see people in such a bad state, you wonder how many bad things had to happen for them to get there.

 
At 3/06/2006 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, every patient I've had, regardless of language has understood poop or pooh.

Sarah, she has a husband, child and dogs. She has more of a life than I do, but she likes the hospital better. I sure wouldn't be here if I didn't have to be.

It was against the rules to bring clothes to patients? I've never heard of anything so stupid. Well, I have, but I'm not going to get into that now.

 
At 3/07/2006 10:54:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Speaking of poo...

don't you hate when you wipe and then discover that you have to go some more? I hate that! When is medical science going to come up with a cure this common ailment? We can put a man on the moon...

:)

 
At 3/07/2006 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Are you trying to gross me out? Well, that's not possible. That is annoying. :)

 
At 3/07/2006 01:34:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

So Dave, good to hear your little "problem" has resolved, either that or you have discoved the amazing power of figs:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home