web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Shaking Hands And A Scary Thing

While being introduced to my patient, he held out his hand. Of course, I extended my hand to shake his. Just as our hands met, I heard two nurses hiss in unison, "Don't shake his hand."
It was too late. I was shaking a bloody hand with my bare hand.

The patient had pulled out his catheter earlier and he wouldn't stop playing with his bloody penis. So, not only did I touch blood, but urine and penis juice as well. With my bare hand.

___________________________________

I was standing next to a coworker when she suddenly gasped, "What is that?" Looking down, I shrieked and ran. What scared us so badly? A purple cap from a syringe rolling across the floor. Once it stopped, it was obvious what it was, but while rolling, it looked like a mouse. I don't care that it was purple. It looked like a mouse. Okay? And no, we have not been dipping into the narcotics.


~ Home

1 Comments:

At 3/15/2006 09:09:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

You'll shake the hand of a hospitalized stranger, but you run from a plastic purple cap? LOL! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home