web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Birthday Dog

Today is Murphy's tenth birthday and I nearly had him put down. He was so weak yesterday that he could barely walk. He fell down the stairs and nearly drowned in the pond. Getting into the pond, his legs collapsed sending his head under water while his stomach and back legs were splayed on the edging. He couldn't get up and was under water for several seconds until I could rescue him. He shook like a leaf after that and later I noticed that blood was pouring from his side which he cut on the rocks. The pond is frothy from all of the blood in it.

For the rest of the day he was shaky. He would take a few steps and fall down. Not wanting him to suffer, I made an appointment with the vet to put him down. The fist available appointment was for today.

I called in sick to work so that we could spend Murphy's last day together, but I couldn't have been much fun for Murph to put up with. I sobbed for hours and shook from heartbreak.

This morning I got up early to prepare and Murph was fine. He ate his Birthday steak for breakfast and is walking well, for him.

I took him to the vet anyway to get medication for him. He's now on large doses of steroids, antibiotics and if he seems to be in pain, I have pain meds for him.

I don't think that Murph has much time left, but he has surprised me before. The vet originally didn't think that he would make it past March or April, but he made it to his birthday. Every day is precious.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 8/31/2006 01:58:00 PM, Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

I am so glad for you both. Only other true animal people can know what pain it is to lose a pet.

 
At 8/31/2006 04:43:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Hello Melissa, Very sorry to hear about Murph. I hope he pulls through. This is the difficult side of having pets. They actually do become part of the family. Alan.

 
At 8/31/2006 07:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murphy sounds like one tough guy...

I had a cat that lived to 18 - I think she really did have nine lives!

 
At 8/31/2006 08:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Murph had an off day. I'm glad he is better today.

 
At 8/31/2006 11:47:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Get better, Murphy!

 
At 9/01/2006 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Happy birthday Murphy... I hope you feel better. xxx from Madwag and Souper Dog.

 
At 9/01/2006 07:30:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Surgeon, you are so right. That's why I haven't told anyone at work about what is going on. No one likes animals and wouldn't understand.

Alan, Murph is terminally ill with cancer. I'm providing hospice care and am trying to make every day special for him. It's not fair that dogs can't live as long as children.

Kim, Murphy is a fighter and is braver than I am over this.

Lisa, thanks, he is even better today. The meds are working well.

Thanks, Dave. Murph appreciates the encouragement.

Thanks, Madwag. Murphy got a big New York steak for his birthday. I wish that I could also send one to your sweet puppy, so they could sort of celebrate together.

 
At 9/03/2006 01:47:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Awwwww, i am so saddened to read this :(
But, so glad to hear Murph enjoyed his steak! Enjoy the time you have together, he really is a superdog :o), and you a super mum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home