web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Black Wednesday And The Mutiny

On yesterday's dog walk, we passed a small park. Usually, there might be at most, one or two cars parked there, but this day, the street was completely lined on both sides by parked cars. As we came over the rise, a large group of people came into view. They were standing in front of a man in a suit and tie who was talking to them with broad arm gestures.

On the picnic tables nearby, were large floral arrangements. I thought perhaps it was a wedding, but there was no bride and groom. As I got closer, I could see some posters covered with photos. It appeared to be a memorial service.

Perhaps the fact that the majority of the people were wearing black should have been another clue, but I was thrown off by the choice of black clothes. They were wearing black t-shirts or black sweatshirts, all with jeans. Jeans, sweats and t-shirts are the native costume for my people, but I thought perhaps for a special occasion they might wear something different.

The last time I went to a funeral, I wore a navy dress with a white lace collar and fit in with the other guests. It wasn't that long ago. Have things changed that quickly or was this just a strange crowd? What do you wear to funerals?




From the powers that be who run the hospital, it has been mandated that a particular patient be put in a chair twice a day. There is a good reason for this. If we can change her from a bed-bound person to a wheelchair bound person, we can save significant money on her health care related transportation costs. The problem is that she flat-out refuses to let us get her into a chair.

The patient is alert and oriented and legally has the right to refuse. We have been told to explain the situation to her and then get her up, regardless. One person did try, but she started screaming and hitting.

I don't want to be arrested for assault and battery, nor be sued in a civil action. My coworkers don't want to risk this either. The bigwigs don't care and are still insisting that we put her in a chair anyway. We will not comply with this demand. I wonder if they would fire all of us?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 2/22/2007 12:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That lady sounds really uptight. Maybe the doctor could order something that would "relax her nerves" enough to get her into that chair.

 
At 2/22/2007 03:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Does she have to be conscious while she is sitting in the chair? Maybe she could just be reclining!

 
At 2/22/2007 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Maybe they could bribe her. After all, they would save money. :)

 
At 2/22/2007 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Yes, give her a couple oxycontin's and then set her in the chair..

 
At 2/23/2007 04:37:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

We stay with traditional dark attire, but lots of people don't. Just having folks show up is the main thing.

 
At 2/23/2007 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, she's not especially uptight, just very sick and very tired. She just wants to be left alone.

Anon, I would be fine with knocking her out to put her in the chair, but the doctors won't go for that.

Gary, I think the bribe money is a brilliant solution. Too bad you're not in charge here.

Lisa, I wish that we could, but the doctors are drug wimps. Too bad that we don't have a private stash.

Alan, I agree with you that the main thing is showing up, but still, it would be nice to wear something other than jeans and a t-shirt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home