web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Another Crazy Patient

I almost knocked out a doctor today. The syringe was behind my back and I was sneaking up on the patient. Things weren't going well, so I decided to retreat and plan a second attack. While backing towards the door with the uncapped needle facing behind me, a doctor walked in the room. We almost collided.

The shot was haldol, ativan and cogentin. The doctor would have been knocked out cold, like the patient is now. By the way, there is no point in fighting the nurse. The nurse always wins. (Especially if the nurse is me.)

The hardest part was getting my coworkers to help me. I had four people in the room to help hold her down and they all just stood there. Yes, it was true that she was oriented and that people normally have the right to refuse treatment, but she was completely crazy. She was bipolar and completely out of control. Screaming, raving, violent lunatics can be medicated against their will.

It wasn't until Richard showed up that I was able to sedate her. He grabbed her arms, rolled her over and I shot her up. While this was going on, she was screaming that Richard was a c...sucker and that he was too stupid to be a doctor and should be picking cotton. In other words, she was being her usual pleasant self. She had been carrying on like that since she arrived on our floor. Now, she is sleeping like a baby.

Richard said that she had three problems; she was bipolar, high as a kite and a bitch.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 3/10/2007 04:23:00 AM, Blogger dr. psy said...

Wow, breaking out the heavy artillery are we? Please, do try take it easy. A little thorazine will do just fine.

 
At 3/10/2007 06:46:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thorazine wasn't on the menu. Knocking her out allowed us to get an IV in and to start pumping her with antibiotics. She was a kicking, cursing fighter who did not want to be treated for an easily treated condition. Without treatment, she could lose her leg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home