web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Like A Flamenco

Sometimes, I like to stand like a flamenco. If there is a chair nearby, I'll bend one leg, rest my knee on the chair and stand on one leg. My arms go behind my back. It's a comfortable position for me. I can do it without the chair, but that is too weird.

The other day I was talking to Richard while holding a cup of tea. The urge became unbearable. I set the cup down on a table and assumed the flamenco position. He looked at me with the most puzzled expression. Then he put his knee on a chair. He wobbled a bit and then resumed standing like a normal human being. My guess is that he was trying to mirror my body language, but lacked the right stuff to do it.

Now, I'm curious what it means to stand like a flamenco. Doing an Internet search was not helpful. Apparently, I'm the only person on the planet who likes to stand that way.

Standing with the arms behind the back is common and supposedly means that the person is either self-confident, cocky, a prick or was in the British Navy. Standing on one leg means that one is ready for some action, if one is a dog. What it means for humans is a mystery, especially when combined with the arms behind the back.

Do you have any bizarre body language?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 3/04/2007 06:29:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

"I'm curious what it means to stand like a flamenco"

I think it means you like Spanish dancing.

 
At 3/04/2007 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I always thought that was one of your ballet stretches!

 
At 3/04/2007 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, oops, I meant flamingo. Standing like a flaminco dancer would just be weird. :)

Sarah, no, it's not a ballet stretch, but it is good for practicing balance.

 
At 3/04/2007 06:23:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

You say flamenco.. I say flamingo...

Maybe Richard wishes he was a flamingo.

 
At 3/04/2007 11:48:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I like to stand balanced on one foot while I pull on a shoe on the other foot. Then I switch and do the same on the other leg. I figure it's a good test of my inner ear and motor system. We used to stand on one leg in yoga when I was in college.

 
At 3/05/2007 12:42:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, or maybe he wishes he was a flaminco dancer. He might look nice in a dress.

Dave, I do the same thing. I hate it, though, when I lose my balance and topple over because my foot is caught on something.

 
At 3/05/2007 04:29:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Sometimes I walk like an Egyptian. :)

 
At 3/06/2007 12:34:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Sometimes I listen to "Walk Like an Egyptian" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home