web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bad Hospital And A Dog Bequest

My hospital has been bestowed a special honor. Out of the more than 400 hospitals in California, it has made the top 10 list...(wait for it)... of the worst hospitals in California. This is based on a study in which pneumonia patients were tracked for thirty days to see how many lived. Nobody has a worst survival rate than us.

Our patient satisfaction surveys also put us at the bottom of the pile. Of all of our sister hospitals in Southern California, none have a lower ranking. So, not only do patients perceive us to be the worst, scientific studies show that we really are the worst.

So, why do I think that this is so funny? I have no idea, it just is. No one I work with sees the humor in the situation and I can't stop laughing.







I still have no idea if Richard likes me. So, it took me by surprise that Richard changed his will and is leaving me his most prized possessions. No, it's not his big house near the beach; not his bank accounts either. I will get his dogs if anything happens to him. He said that I'm the only person he would trust with his dogs. That is an enormous complement, but I still don't know if he likes me. He may just recognize a crazy, insane dog person when he sees one.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 2/28/2007 11:56:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

That's weird. I keep hearing great praise for my hospital, and I think it's a dump.

I have no idea who or what these surveys are comparing things to.

 
At 3/01/2007 05:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't know by now if Richard likes you, you never will. You should probably rethink the whole Richard thing. I am sure there are other men out there that would be treat you the way you deserve to be treated.

 
At 3/01/2007 05:44:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

What was the satisfaction rate for the patients who died?

 
At 3/01/2007 06:14:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Top Ten! Congratulations! As they say in Hollywood, "Any publicity is good publicity."

 
At 3/02/2007 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

beajerry, I've seen the questions that patients are asked after discharge. They are abstract and don't directly compare us to anyone, but we always get the lowest satisfaction ratings. They really hate us (for good reason).

Anon, I am re-thinking the Richard thing on a daily basis. He is always nice to me, but he sends mixed messages. I am open to meeting other men, but they are not exactly breaking down my door.

Gary, that is a major flaw in the surveys, we don't survey dead people. I did once have the misfortune to do a survey on a patient who I didn't know had died shortly after being discharged. Her daughter answered the phone and was not happy at all with our hospital.

Alan, that's the spirit. We're number one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home