web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sleeping On A Cold, Hard FLoor

Kelsey hasn't been doing well. On Friday, he developed an upper GI bleed and wouldn't eat or drink. He also couldn't walk without assistance. I didn't expect him to make it through the weekend. I had no choice but to go to work, so I gave him a shot of morphine to make him comfortable. He got too much and was pretty much unconscious. I put a thick down sleeping bag on the couch and picked Kelsey up and put him on top of it.

In a quiet rage over the unfairness of having to go to work and take care of sick people when I had my own sick, precious Kelsey who needed me, I left for work. We were short two nurses, so it was another night where I ran in circles without a break for nine hours. Several times, I was tempted to scream, I quit, and leave.

When it was time to leave, I took a xanax before driving home to brace myself for what I might find. Kelsey could have bled to death, overdosed on the morphine or drowned in the pond while I was away. I came home to find him standing next to the couch. With some coaxing, he drank some water and ate a piece of chicken.

I've stopped his pain medication. I suspect that the tramadol ate away his stomach lining. He's eating and drinking and is able to walk okay again. The bleeding appears to have stopped.

I want to spend as much time as possible with Kelsey, so I haven't been blogging much. I have also moved downstairs, because he has problems with the stairs. I've been sleeping on the floor for almost a week now, but it's not as miserable now. Lindsay loaned me a king size futon mattress, so there is room for everyone to sleep together.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 01:50:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I know this is a really hard thing to do but if he is in pain and needs MS maybe it's time. Unless you can keep getting it and can go this route for awhile. If not I can have someone come stay with my babies for the day go with you so he can go to sleep. Give him kisses and snuggles for me.

 
At 2/11/2008 06:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Kelsey is doing fine without pain meds now. His appetite has improved and he's walking better. Sometimes pain meds cause more problems than they solve.

How is Daisy?

 
At 2/13/2008 12:03:00 AM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

I was expecting the worst news for Kelsey and I see that he is better. Very good news indeed. You must be feeling lots better yourself now, too.

 
At 2/13/2008 06:18:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

aww. I'm glad Kelsey is eating and walking better. I understand how you feel about leaving him. You take such good care of your dogs.

 
At 6/29/2010 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sleep apnea is basically a condition that affects most people causing them to stop breathing for around 10-20 seconds as they sleep. There are different symptoms of sleep apnea that are dependent on the type of sleep apnea condition that one is suffering from. Normally, there are three kinds of sleep apnea namely the (OSA) or obstructive sleep apnea and the (CSA) or central sleep apnea. The third type is rare and exhibits signs of both CSA and OSA, which is called mixed sleep apnea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home