web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Few Good Things

Some good things happened today. First off, I stepped on the scale and discovered that I had lost five pounds. This was without dieting. The only thing I did was start taking Alli. It interferes with the absorption of fat. Most days I don't touch it because my usual diet is healthy and low in fat, but if I go out for a meal or find myself presented with goodies at work, I can nip the extra calories in the bud.

Having slippery fat pass through the digestive tract has the potential for creating social embarrassment, but so far, there have been no problems. There have been some close calls, especially after the surprisingly oily Chinese chicken salad, but no accidents, yet.

The weight loss has been slow. The five pound loss was over four months, but I'm fine with that. It was without hunger, sacrifice or deprivation and now I fit into my smallest jeans.

The other good thing that happened is that I finally got around to looking at my paycheck and discovered that I now get four weeks of paid vacation a year. I like to divide my vacation time into one week chunks, so now I can take four vacations a year instead of just three.

Lastly, I'm leaving on a ski trip tomorrow. The weather has been so warm and summer-like lately, that I'm not sure that there will be any snow, but it will be nice to get away. Yosemite is one of my favorite places and I probably will have it mostly to myself. Not many people go there during mid-week in January during a warm spell.

My dad is still in the hospital. but he looks much better. All of the tubes are gone except for his chest tube. His lung is still leaking air, but there is hope that it will heal without surgery. At least he can now eat whatever he wants. If he takes a turn for the worse, I can be back in about five hours.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm also glad that I'm single. I was shopping and tried on a jacket. I need a new jacket like I need a hole in the head, but they were cute and different from anything else I have. As I happily walked away with my new jacket, another woman came over and tried on a jacket. Her husband said in a nasty tone of voice, "You need a new jacket like you need a hole in the head." That poor woman slinked away empty handed. Every time I wear that jacket, I'm going to think about how lucky I am.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 1/19/2009 02:21:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

I am sooo envious, Yosemite is one of my 'must get to' destinations :o) Someday......

 
At 1/24/2009 09:28:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

One of these days you must visit Omaha. Yosemite isn't that far from there. :)

 
At 1/25/2009 06:27:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

lol... not all men are arses like that, either. :)

I have not been to Yosemite, either. I'll have to check to see how close it is. :)

 
At 1/26/2009 01:12:00 PM, Blogger may said...

glad to hear your dad is better. since you feel lucky that you're single, i won't say sorry it didn't work out. i just want to echo lisa that not all men are like that guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home