web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Busted

My mom told me that she got arrested. By some odd coincidence, I also got arrested the same week. Well, we weren't really arrested. That was just my mom's term for it. What we got were traffic infractions.

This was my mom's first ticket and my second. What my mom was accused of doing was driving on the wrong side of the road. She says that she was driving into the left turn lane. I'm not sure if mom misjudged where the turning lane was or if the cop was mistaken, but she decided not to fight it. Her fine, not counting the cost of traffic school was about two hundred and twenty dollars.

I got caught in a speed trap. I had just gotten off the freeway and was driving on a wide road coming down a hill. The cop clocked me at 63 mph in a 45 speed zone. I believe the speed limit was deliberately set too low to trap speeders. I could fight it in court, but I don't need the stress and aggravation.

What irks me the most is that the cop used a radar gun. That just seems unsportsman-like. I want the cop to take after me and try to pace me. Many have tried and all have failed. It is an exciting game. I can slow my car down very quickly without lighting up the brake lights. It confuses the cops and they leave. Isn't that why hand-brakes were invented?

My fine was three hundred and thirty dollars. That hurts. I'm also not going to go to traffic school, because I did that once twenty years ago and that was enough. I'm hoping that my insurance rates don't go up. I'll soon find out.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 2/10/2009 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You could get a radar detector - it's saved Dave's A$$ more than once!

 
At 2/13/2009 09:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happened to stumble across your blog, and thought that, as an RN, you might appreciate this story:

Nurse walked nine miles through blizzard to save a life

http://www.frivolouspeople.com/2009/02/nurse-walked-nine-miles-through.html

Nurses kick much ass!
PS: Dogs kick much ass, too!

 
At 2/14/2009 07:25:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I wouldn't think your rates would go up for a non-accident violation, unless your insurance company is really crappy. ... In which case, I'd look for another.

 
At 2/14/2009 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Hand brakes can also be used to scare the hell out of tailgaters. Somewhat dangerous, so you got to be real careful.

 
At 2/16/2009 02:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those lazy bastards must be getting desperate. I got a ticket too, after 30 yrs of being a safe although sometimes speedy driver. What really pisses me off is that he said "oh you were going almost 81 mpg (I was in the middle of nowhere)" and then he writes me up for 82 mph. I think that is mighty chicken shit and I think he deserves a good "ass whoopin" over that petty excuse for a job he does all day, sitting there lying for a couple more bucks, and of course he was sitting in the comfort of his car with his little gun in truly the middle of nowhere, where maybe a sheep could stray onto someone else's pasture

 
At 2/22/2009 07:34:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, what I really want is a radar jamming device.

Anon, I'm happy to meet a fellow dog person/nurse. Dog's do kick ass.

Lisa, I hope that you're right.

Alan, I've done things like that also. I hate tailgaters so much that I'll risk my life to get even.

Anon, I think that California is trying to fix the budget crisis with traffic tickets. The cops are everywhere now. It is so annoying having to obey traffic laws all of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home