web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, July 29, 2005

61,200 Beeps

We don't usually continually monitor patient's oxygen saturation on my floor, but we made an exception for one patient. That damned machine beeped twice a second for 8.5 hours. If my math is correct, that's 61, 200 beeps.

Until we were able to get another patient's pain under control, he hooted like an owl 40 times per minute for 1.5 hours. That's 3,600 hoots, I think.

Another patient refused to take some medication this morning that had the side effect of severe diarrhea. He told day shift, "I don't want to be .....ing all over the place."For my shift he had a change of heart. I had the special honor of changing his diaper and sheets several times tonight. I don't know if he changed his mind because he likes me or hates me.

Another patient who felt like being naked said, "If there are any attractive men out there, send them in. If they're ugly, don't bother." She was not confused.

I was also surprised to hear a voice yell out "WHAT!!!" that sounded just like mine. I pride myself on my self-control and I lost it. Then I had to apologize to the poor doctor who didn't know that I had heard my name called out too many times. Can I blame it on the 61,200 beeps?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 7/29/2005 08:54:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I'd have lost it too. You are a far more patient woman than I.

 
At 7/29/2005 11:49:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Somewhat off topic: Do I Still Need This Catheter?

 
At 7/29/2005 01:14:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Running2ks.

Dave, thanks for the link. Sometimes when I think that a patient has had a catheter long enough, I'll just remove it and say that the patient didn't want it anymore. So far, I have gotten away with that.

With some patients, though, the catheter is a nurse's best friend. Some elderly people need to pee about every 45 minutes and if it's a woman with a broken or recently replaced hip, getting them on and off the bedpan can be torture for all concerned. Catheters for those patients, I'll leave in as long as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home