web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Double Booms

What the Hell was that? I woke up this morning to two window shaking booms that caused my dogs and me to jump. Was it an earthquake? The bed was shaking, but not enough for that loud of a sound. Then I remembered the Space Shuttle. It makes double sonic booms when it lands. But the Space Shuttle was going to land in Florida. Perhaps the weather was bad there.

Wide awake now, exploring all of the possibilities, sleep seemed impossible. The boys were all sitting or standing on the bed panting. It was a little after 5 am and I hadn't gotten to bed until after 1 the night before. Just when I decided I might as well get up, the boys and I fell asleep.

I was pleased to see this morning that it was the Space Shuttle flying over my house and that the astronauts made it safely home. Despite being startled by the sound, I love it when the Shuttle zooms by. I've missed it the last couple of years. Once when I was outside, I heard the booms followed by a whooooosh. It doesn't get much better than that.



~ Home

5 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow,how special that must be. A memory that most of the world would never get the opportunity to have!

 
At 8/10/2005 07:53:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

How cool is that? My husband said he was listening to the news and a reporter said it was dark, so she didn't see much and heard only the booms. So, you were in on it like journalists were!

 
At 8/10/2005 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It really is special to hear the shuttle flying by. It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

 
At 8/27/2005 05:59:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I was also awakened that night by a bedful of dogs jumping around scared to death! Thank goodness mine were dry though!

 
At 8/27/2005 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Poor dogs in LA and Ventura County.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home