web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Off by a Foot

This morning I woke up in a drunken stupor, hung over from a night of heavy drinking and dancing. Then I remembered, the only thing I did last night was work and drink tea. When I was young, I had to work hard to feel this bad. Now, just going to work does this to me.

Dragging myself out to the mulberry tree to eat breakfast, I was dismayed to discover that the sweet fruit felt like sulfuric acid going down my throat. A sore throat and fatigue...my immune system is fighting something.

At work tonight, a coworker gave me a cup of Philipino ginseng coffee which got me through a few hours. Then, some hand to hand combat with a patient while I inserted a tube through her nose into her stomach, revved me up a bit. The remainder of the shift, I just counted the hours until bedtime.

I had only one odd thing happen tonight. I had to find out how tall a patient was, so I asked him. His answer was 6-6. I smiled and teasingly asked him, "So, how tall are you really?" He looked at me with a blank face and said, 6-6. Now, I'm well under 6 feet and he was shorter than me, so I tried again and said "You're 5..." and he answered 6, so I wrote down 5'6''.

Later, I got a call from the pharmacy about my data and they said their records showed that he was 6'6". What I think is funny, besides the patient thinking that he was a foot taller, is that in the past, an employee had asked him his height and accepted his answer of 6-6 without question.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 06:49:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Sure, why not accept all answers? What is your name? "Batman" Can you spell that for me?

 
At 8/09/2005 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sometimes patients like to amuse themselves by giving crazy answers to questions. I once had a patient that the previous nurse said was confused because he thought it was the 1800's. Suspicious, I started grilling him about life in the 1800's until he admitted that he was just playing with the other nurse.

 
At 8/13/2005 11:13:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Come on Melissa you know all men lie! They are all 6 ft tall and none of them can seem to grasp the concept of inches :)
Sarah

 
At 8/13/2005 07:56:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Don't I know it? ;)

 
At 8/15/2005 04:09:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

ROFLMAO!

Oh, Melissa, I love your blog. You have such a wonderful sense of humor. (Sick at times, but wonderful. ;) )

 
At 8/24/2005 08:29:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Mary. I pride myself on my sick sense of what's funny. :)

 
At 5/21/2008 10:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking he was confused and gave you his height in inches. Maybe he saw someone write it down as 66 at one time and so he says 6'6. Doesn't 5'6 = 66 inches or am I loony? :)

Great blog by the way! I've been reading for days and am almost finished with the archives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home