web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Was it Death by Morphine?

Over the weekend, our hospice patient slipped into a coma and quietly passed away, surrounded by family. When that happens and the patient is on a morphine drip, I always wonder what killed them. Was it the illness or the morphine? Her dose was 65 times the usual rate.

Of course we're not trying to hasten anyone's death and we don't give any more morphine than is necessary to ease a person's pain, but still, I wonder if we killed her. Although our efforts are legal and only done with the best of intentions, I wonder if she would still be alive without the morphine. (But if I'm the one who is terminally ill, please turn the morphine up all of the way and don't worry about it.)


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 11:19:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Me too!

 
At 8/19/2005 12:52:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm not into tatoos, but if I ever got one, it would say across my chest, DNR (do not resusitate).

 
At 8/20/2005 06:38:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I have seen many patients die in CCU and in hospice and I'll take the morphine drip with a fentanyl patch on the side!
When our beloved pets become terminally ill and are suffering our kind veterinarians end their suffering with a painless injection that allows them to pass on in peace in the arms of their loving family. Why can't we offer the same kindness to humans?
(if you don't like tatoos you can always use a magic marker)

 
At 8/20/2005 09:19:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I agree with you, Sarah. Our treatment of dying pets is much more humane than our treatment of dying humans. If we allowed a dog to suffer the way terminal patients sometimes suffer, we would probably be prosecuted for animal cruelty.

I would much rather go to sleep from a morphine overdose than go through the final agonizing death throes that we have seen our patients going through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home