web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Shifting Winds

This was today's view of the fire taken from work. It was about 100 degrees without a cloud in the sky. The white stuff in the sky is all smoke.

The wind shifted and smoke choked the San Fernando Valley. This picture was taken around 5 pm when the sun should have been shining and the sky blue. My head was throbbing despite 5 Advil and my eyes and throat were burning and it still aches when I breathe. And, this was inside the hospital. Our ventilation system sucks in the bad air from outside.

It seems like every channel on TV has Fire Watch. It's non-stop coverage of the fire. I'm glad that they're talking about the thousands of homes that have been saved instead of lost. I hope that doesn't change. My friends are still stuck in their hotel room hoping for the best.


It seems like every little old lady in the San Fernando Valley fell and broke her hip today. We are bursting at the seams. All I really wanted to do was get in my car and start driving and not stop until I found some clean air.

We were so busy that I couldn't get a break, so for dinner I had cookies and chocolate cake provided by patients. I ran out of chocolate two days ago, so the chocolate cake helped with the chocolate withdrawal I've been experiencing.

Tomorrow is a shopping day. I need a new hose, pond pump, groceries and, most of all, chocolate.



~ Home

3 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 03:53:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I am so envious. I bet i put on 10 pounds just looking at the photo of that cake!

 
At 9/30/2005 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

2 Days! You should have called me! I could have Fed Ex'd you some chocolate, or brought it to you at work! Those withdrawls are not pretty!

 
At 9/30/2005 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, the cake wasn't as good as it looked. Those calories won't count.

Sarah, things have gotten desperate around here. Trader Joe's is first on my list today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home