web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Dirty Finger Up The Spout

The purpose of my previous post was to introduce you to our infamous ice machine. That black hole is where the ice or water comes out, depending on what button we press. There is no other source of drinking water in our unit, unless you count the handwashing sinks. This machine is nothing but trouble, with its chronic ice jams and inability to produce enough ice to meet our needs.

A couple of nights ago, it stopped producing ice entirely, so the engineer was called to fix it. I'm not blaming the engineers, it's not their fault, but they are always so dirty. They are as filthy as auto mechanics, all covered with grease.

The first thing he did was stick his grimy finger up the spout. The least he could have done is use the plastic spoon to see if there was an ice jam, but no, he used his disgusting finger.

We know of no way to clean the spout, which presents an ethical dilemma. For my personal drinking water, I'm walking to our sister unit to get it. The patient's water is still coming from our machine. It's too long of a walk to do that for all of the patients. We figure it won't hurt them, it's just gross if you know about it. How evil are we?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Well, i mean to say, they're sick any way right? Excellent rationale!

 
At 11/29/2005 10:11:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

OK, I guess I am bringing my own bottled water too!

 
At 11/29/2005 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Michelle. At least you understood the logic. ;)

Good idea, Sarah.

 
At 5/22/2009 09:27:00 AM, Blogger Sir Paul said...

Whos to say that maintenance guy didnt also "fix" the other machine too! There appear to be 2 philips head screws on that nozzle, why not remove it and wash it in boiling water? Simple eh? LOL
GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home