web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

WHAT Time Is It?


The band on my nurse Minnie Mouse watch broke at work, so I stuck it in my pocket. There are three clocks on the walls, so I just relied upon them for the time.

What I didn't know is that there had been a power failure earlier in the day and the generator and back-up generator both failed. Two of the wall clocks stopped working when the power failed. The third clock ran on batteries. The battery clock with the correct time was facing another direction, so I was relying upon the clocks that were 40 minutes slow.

It wasn't until after 10 pm that I saw the correct clock and panicked. I hadn't even started passing out the 10 o'clock meds and usually, I'm just about done by then. That may not sound like much, but all of my patients got their medications late and I had to frantically rush around to just barely finish on time. For someone who practically lives and dies by the clock, it was most unpleasant.

This is the third time I know of that both of the generators failed. There is a third generator that supplies power to only the critical sections of the hospital, such as OR and ICU. If the third and last generator had failed, you would have heard about it in the news.


~ Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home