web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

My Head Still Hurts

Driving to work today, I was wondering if everyone knew something that I didn't, like perhaps a mandatory evacuation was ordered for Los Angeles? Everyone and their dog was leaving town. The freeways heading north were all jammed. Fortunately, I was headed south or I never would have made it to work on time. Although, thinking back, that would not have been a bad thing. Work was miserable. The charge nurse and aide both called in sick, so we just had to do without. So, guess who had to be charge? Because we were short-staffed, I also had to take a full load of patients.

Because I was charge, I was the one that everyone wanted to complain to and there was no shortage of things to complain about tonight. We were doing the best we could, but with a bad nursing ratio, we simply couldn't be everywhere at once like the patients expected. I also got abuse from confused patients. I know that it doesn't matter what a crazy person says, but it still affects me when someone cusses me out. One confused patient hit me on the head with a metal trapeze. It brought tears to my eyes and I wanted to fight back, but instead just walked away. (Too many witnesses)

It felt like I was arguing with people all evening, which I just hate. I want everything to be peaceful, calm and for everyone to get along. This was like practicing law all over again. Some people thrive on conflict, but not me. I wish that I could stay in bed and sleep most of tomorrow, but instead I have to go back to work and do it again. The only good thing about tomorrow is we get holiday pay and they feed us Thanksgiving dinner. No, wait, dinner is a bad thing. I'll take pictures of whatever it is that they feed us. It's not going to be pretty.


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 11/24/2005 09:11:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for the rough day.

But I wish you a hearty Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 11/24/2005 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thank God you have tommorrow off! That always happens the day before a holiday. Do you have to cook or are you going to your parents house? Let me know, I can always come cook for you so you can sleep in:)
I am babysitting the "little black tornado", the lab from next door. She is about 1 1/2 yrs old now so she's bigger, stronger, faster and sneakier than before (i.e. it takes more benadryl to knock her out). She had eaten a whole pumpkin pie that was cooling on the back of my oven before 9 am! Her parent's are out of town until Sunday. I will be worshipping at the altar of the pharmaceutical gods for the next few days. It's going to be a long weekend:(

 
At 11/24/2005 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Brandy.

Tomorrow we're celebrating Thanksgiving at my parent's house, so the only thing I have to do is show up.

You have 6 dogs for the weekend and one of them already ate a pie? It's too bad that the rescue Golden didn't get it. He needs the extra calories more than the black tornado.

One of these days you're going to have your own blog. :)

 
At 11/24/2005 04:18:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Is that a hint?

 
At 11/24/2005 07:24:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, it's just inevitable. There's no use fighting it.

Lisa, if I could, I would catch the next flight. Maybe you could mail me the left-overs. :)

 
At 11/24/2005 10:23:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Gosh - the shift from hell. Glad it's over!

 
At 11/25/2005 12:54:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Me too. Nights like that help me to better appreciate the good nights and be grateful for them.

 
At 11/25/2005 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You may have been better off working the holiday. You get up clean, cook, clean and by the end of the day you are so tired you swear you are going to tell everyone you are going out of town for the next holiday. I slept 12 hours last night (my usual is 5, not by choice but necessity)! I got up this morning and the little black tornado got up on the table and ate a stick of butter, the only morsel of food I left out!

 
At 11/25/2005 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Holidays are so much work, but still, I miss hosting the family dinner parties. But that was back in the days when I could take off a week to prepare.

When is the black tornado's parents coming back? It's a good thing that the left-over turkey was in the fridge.

 
At 11/26/2005 02:43:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You were "el kabonged" over the head....omg, that's dreadful. It looked like the next few days were much better from the above posts :)

 
At 11/27/2005 12:54:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

They would almost have to be, that one was one bad night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home