web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Geese Fly-By

I went to my parents house today, a day late, to celebrate Thanksgiving. There appears to be some kind of creature in the pool.
Oh, it's just a Murph. He loves to bask in ice cold water. It's too bad that I don't hunt ducks. He would love that.
This is my parents working on dinner. For being married 60 years, I think that they still look pretty darn good.

It was nice to have real food instead of the slop I got yesterday. Our union contract requires that we be fed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but there's no rule that the food be fit for human consumption. Well, okay, that was unfair, the food didn't actually make me physically sick, it just made me sick to look at it and taste it.

As per tradition, several flocks of Canadian geese flew by my parent's house just before sundown. My parents live near the Chatsworth Reservoir and the geese make that area their home in the winter. When we hear them honking, we run outside to watch them fly by in formation. On the evening when they first appear in the winter, it's especially exciting. We'll run outside yelling, "They're back."


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 11/25/2005 09:44:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

60 years WOW!

I am so glad you had a great time. They look like wonderful people.

 
At 11/25/2005 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Murph is sooooo cute!
Glad you had a nice time with your folks!

 
At 11/25/2005 11:49:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

We like the geese, too. There are a lot of wetlands here where they like to rest during their journey. They must be on their way to your house. :)

I seem to recall a pomegranate tree being up the street from your folks' house. Is it still there?

 
At 11/26/2005 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Brandy and Karen.

Dave, I'm surprized that the geese don't stay the winter where you are. It's not that much colder there, but it's so much wetter and prettier. I guess geese are pretty set in their ways and have to go where their ancestor's went every winter.

There's a large pomegranate tree in my parent's backyard that has been there for all of eternity. Is that the one that you're thinking of?

My memory is hazy, but there use to be a small vineyard overlooking the lake with various fruit trees. I'm not sure, but the long driveway may have been lined with pomegranate trees. If that is the one your thinking of, it's gone and there is nothing but homes tightly packed in overlooking the empty reservoir.

 
At 11/26/2005 02:49:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

So glad you were able to enjoy REAL food instead of hospital slops. Murph looked like he had a ball too ...lovely day all round :o)

 
At 11/27/2005 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Michelle, all of the boys had a good day, especially with all of the turkey scraps.

 
At 11/30/2005 09:01:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Murphy looks very comfortable. They must have a nice large platform step. I'll have to remember that when I buy the next house. I know the pool step in my last house wasn't quite wide enough for him to lounge properly.

 
At 12/01/2005 12:03:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

And besides the width problem, the first step, at your old house, was too shallow and the second step was too deep. Murphy prefers the depth of my parent's steps. Please keep that in mind when buying your next house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home