web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, December 16, 2005

The Spitting Bastard

My shift ended with me waiting in ER to be seen by a doctor. I was there all because of the spitting bastard. What happened is that earlier today a tube had been pushed down his nose and because he didn't cooperate, it turned into a bloody mess. No, I'm not the one who did that to him. Anyway, blood was oozing out his nostrils and bubbly, bloody saliva was running down his chin. He's a drooler. Later, the bastard's IV line became occluded and while I was bent over him fixing it, he spit in my face. Little droplets of blood got in my eyes, nose and mouth. I yelled at him, but left without killing him. I have so much self-control.

I reported the incident and had to fill out a stack of forms. He needed to be tested for HIV and various forms of hepatitus, which was a problem because he was too confused to sign a consent for the HIV testing. We ended up doing it without a consent. I'll worry about that glich later. Then, most annoying of all, I had to go to ER to get my blood drawn also. There was no chance that I infected him, the concern is that if he does test positive, they want to be able to establish whether I acquired the illness from him. If I test negative today and positive at some future date, then their liability is established. However, if I test positive today, then they have no liability no matter what the patient's test results are.

The bastard is at low risk for having anything. This is more of a nuisance than anything and because ER kept me waiting so long, I walked out without being seen. I'll have to go to work early tomorrow to take care of that.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 12/16/2005 03:43:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh Melissa i truly feel for you. You have much better self control than me. To call him a bastard is being kind, i can think of a few more choice words.

 
At 12/16/2005 04:12:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Argh. I am so sorry about that. What a rotten day on the job.

 
At 12/16/2005 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I actually was using another term with the word bastard, but I edited it out. ;)

R2Ks, I'm amusing myself thinking of ways to get back at him. If I spit in his face, he's so confused, no one would believe him. ;)

H.P., thanks.

I really like your dog. He looks like a real sweetheart. :)

 
At 12/16/2005 02:24:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

If you must continue to work in the hospital, how about a nice job in case management/discharge planning?

 
At 12/16/2005 06:46:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

No. I would rather engage in hand-to-hand combat and sometimes lose than argue with people all day. I also get paid more and work shorter hours.

 
At 12/16/2005 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Holy cow. Hope everything is ok.
I think I'd do your job only if being able to wear a hazard suit ;-)

 
At 12/17/2005 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

That would get a little hot and stuffy after awhile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home