web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

It Just Feels Wrong

One of my coworkers mentioned yesterday that today would be her last day at work before she retired. We had no idea this was coming. That was insufficient notice to plan a proper party, but I figured that if I made a Costco run before work today, I could buy some party food so that we could do at least something special on her last day. That plan was shot to Hell when I didn't wake up in time. Plan B was to give our secretary some money and send her out to buy food and a cake.

I brought money to work and guess who wasn't there. My retiring coworker decided to call in sick on her last day of work. How irritating is that? She worked here over 25 years and suddenly she's gone without any acknowledgment of her years of service. No good-byes, no nothing. Something just feels terribly wrong with that.

Another one of the nurses in my hospital suffered a catastrophic stroke while at work a couple of months ago. He's just now starting to breathe on his own, but he is unable to communicate and no one really knows how much he understands. He's still in our ICU.

This nurse is also the sole support of his quadriplegic wife, minor child and wheelchair-bound, seriously ill mother. Because he is no longer able to work, he was terminated, which also resulted in the loss of his health insurance. His family is now being sent massive bills for his hospitalization. Something just feels terribly wrong with that too. (And I thought that I had problems)


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 03:13:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

My goodness, it akes my problems look insignificant after reading about that poor man. That's just not fair :(

 
At 1/10/2006 01:10:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

This is a tragic work/insurance situation that shows what can happen with poor communication (1) and lack of compassion (2).

I am so sorry!

 
At 1/10/2006 07:54:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I'm never sure if I should be sad about all of the tragedy around me or grateful that it's not me. Life is not fair at all.

Lisa, she hated the job, who doesn't, but she must have known that we liked her. We've decided to call her and ask her to come back for a party.

The stroke victim is on another floor so I never see his family. There are options for his family. I hope that they see a lawyer.

R2Ks, my employer is a large corporation that only understands money, not compassion. This is not the first time that I've seen long-time, faithful employees screwed over. I don't know how the corporate decision makers sleep at night.

 
At 1/11/2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

The U.S. needs national health insurance also. Every national health system has its flaws, but they all beat our system of haves and have-nots.

Btw, I was born in England and have dual citizenship. I love England and feel very comfortable there. I've spent enough time there that I'm not allowed to donate blood because of the risk of Mad Cow disease. I don't know why, but I think that's funny.

 
At 1/12/2006 09:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... THAT is something I did not know.

 
At 1/12/2006 11:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I guess I need to someday come up with a 100 things about me list in case anyone is interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home