web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Power Trips

Cell phones drive me crazy. I know that they're convenient and can be a life saver in an emergency, and yes, I have one too, but they drive me crazy.

The other day, Sarah and I were doing the lunch thing and at the next table a couple of women were starting to give their order to the waiter when one of their cell phones rang. She picked it up and began having a long conversation while everyone waited. The waiter just stood there. The call was not of great importance. No one had died, a kidney was not waiting for her at the hospital, it was just the usual mindless chitchat.

After a couple of minutes of proving how important she was to the waiter, she then finished giving her order. Yeah, we were all impressed with how important she thought she was.

After lunch, we went shopping. We're both a bit lame, in a literal sense. Sarah is still recovering from major surgery and I have arthritis in my hips. We shopped too long and walking back to the car, we were having problems walking. Sarah was taking tiny, slow steps slightly hunched over in pain and I was limping, each step sending a jolt of pain in my hips.

As we crossed a driveway, a car approached and waited for us to walk by. We were going as fast as we could, but it wasn't fast enough for the driver and he or she aggressively stepped on the gas, swung around us and took off like a rocket. I'm sure that it was just to prove a point. What nerve of us to walk slowly. I guess we're lucky he or she didn't decide to run us over, but then, that would have put a dent in the car.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 1/08/2006 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Another perfect example of why I should be allowed to carry my gun wherever I go:)

 
At 1/08/2006 09:37:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Combine cell phones and cars, and this is a bad thing too.

 
At 1/09/2006 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

But Sarah, then I could only visit you behind bars.

R2Ks, You're right. People driving with a phone stuck to their ear is a major pet peeve of mine. I've had too many near misses.

 
At 1/09/2006 01:40:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

You can in Oregon, Sarah. ;)

 
At 1/09/2006 03:46:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with Sarah!
I hate cells phones, i can't stand those people who get a feeling of self importance from them either.
A case i was involved with a few years ago involved a guy who was talking on his cell in the car, he had an accident. It was his mother he was chatting with, the phone slid under the seat, she heard the paramedics conversation whilst trying to revive him, it was awful.

 
At 1/09/2006 09:29:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oregon works for me, cold weather, big dogs, closer than Alaska:)

 
At 1/09/2006 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hippo-Pepperpot, I like the idea of sending text, people can look at it when it's convenient, unlike cell phones that seem to ring at the worst of times.

Dave, don't tempt Sarah like that. If she moves, I have to move too and I like it here.

Michelle, what an awful story. I hope that he survived.

Sarah, you are just looking for an excuse to wear your new winter gear. It won't be that much longer until you have a place to wear it.

 
At 1/09/2006 05:29:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Any time I can tempt a woman... ;)

 
At 1/09/2006 11:10:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh you devil. And don't you dare tempt us with what kind of house we could buy in Oregon if we sold our ridiculously over-priced homes in LA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home