web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Drinking Blood And The Raffle

My patient needed blood, so I walked in the room with a unit and set it down on her table.

"I can't eat that," she said.

I explained that the blood was going to go in her veins; we weren't going to make her drink it.

"I'm a vegetarian," she replied.

I got a good laugh out of this. She got the blood anyway, she was too confused to refuse, but she got me thinking. Is it okay for vegetarians to get blood as long as it enters through their veins and not their mouth?

-------------------------------------

The hospital Christmas party was a couple of weeks ago and people are still talking about what happened. If alcohol had been served, the lapse in judgment would have been more understandable, perhaps, but this was a dry party.

At this party given by a top hospital administrator, there was a drawing for prizes. The grand prize was a TV and guess who won it? The administrator who threw the party. How tacky is that? I don't particularly care who won the TV, but I am enjoying observing the brewing resentment and controversy. The employees are in two camps over this. One group thinks that the contest was rigged. The other group believes that she won through luck, but showed poor taste in entering her name in the drawing and then accepting the prize.

This is schadenfreude at its best. It's so enjoyable to watch someone you dislike fall on their face. And, no one even tripped her, she fell without anyone's help. *giggle*


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 1/04/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Short answer to the blood question: yes :) LOL!

 
At 1/04/2006 05:50:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

heh-heh. You said schadenfreude. :)

 
At 1/05/2006 12:17:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

R2ks, thanks for clearing that up for me. I get so confused sometimes. :)

Dave, you've used the term too. :)

B.t.w., I tried your microwaved chestnut recipe. Are they supposed to taste like partially cooked boiled beans or acorns? If so, I guess that it's an acquired taste.

 
At 1/06/2006 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I go to the studio parties where everyone's name is automatically included in the raffles, and a few times the producers or directors will win but they ALWAYS decline the gift and they choose another name. That really shows her charachter. I'm sure she will be repaid for her efforts in this life.

 
At 1/07/2006 01:55:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I keep waiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home