web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Melissa Versus The Cherry


Still reeling over my sudden inability to wear anything other than sweat or scrub pants, I started my diet this morning with fierce determination. Just to make sure that there would no unfortunate incidents, I dumped the Christmas cookies in the trash and scooped dog poop on top of them. Feeling virtuous, I went to work and found a 2 pound box of See's chocolates. What's up with that? Christmas is over and we're still getting chocolates. What's wrong with people?

I was so hungry that I felt light-headed and my tummy even hurt. I could smell the chocolate and my mouth was watering like a ravenous dog looking at a steak. I was still in control, though, and I walked out of the kitchen without eating a chocolate.

Just when I thought that I had passed this test, another box of chocolates mysteriously appeared. This time it was chocolate covered cherries, my favorite. (Am I being tested?) I picked up the box to get a better look at them and there was a bag of Hershey's kisses under the box. (Is my guardian angel mad at me?) Just when I thought that things couldn't get any worse, each of my coworkers said that they hate chocolate covered cherries and that I could have them all. (Is the Devil out to get me?)

Not being able to stand it anymore, I took a tiny bite out of one. It was an intensely rich, dark chocolate that practically made my head spin. The juice was running down my fingers, so I tipped the chocolate and drank the juice. I reached in with my tongue, pulled out the cherry and slowly savored it. The chocolate shell I nibbled away at, practically swooning with each tiny bite. The cherry juice was still on my fingers, so I began licking them, tentatively at first, and then with complete abandon, I thrust each finger into my mouth sucking off the syrup. (Did I remember to wash my hands after emptying that last bedpan?)

One wasn't enough. My appetite was insatiable. Weak with desire, I walked out of the kitchen and didn't look back. I went up against a box of chocolate covered cherries and I won.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 12/29/2005 10:49:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

Lol....got for it girl....you are so slim anyways and chocolate cherries are just heaven! :o)

Happy new year.

 
At 12/29/2005 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

But, but, but--it is a salad. It is fruit. That doesn't count as a bad thing!

 
At 12/29/2005 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Gemmak, but I won't be slim much longer if I keep going for it. :)

You're right R2Ks,plus chocolate is a major food group. Heaven forbid I should eat an unbalanced diet.

 
At 12/31/2005 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Melissa, just how long has it been since you had a chocolate covered cherry? That description was well, pretty descriptive. I have some here if you run out in the future.

 
At 12/31/2005 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Let's just say that it has been so long since I've had a chocolate covered cherry that I no longer remember how to eat one. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home