web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Specimens, Profanity, Gas And Parasites

A patient gave me two specimen cups. One was urine, the other was sputum. They were both frothy, cloudy and yellow. I didn't know which was which. I held them up to the light and swirled them as though I were examining a fine wine. Still no clue. Finally, I removed the lids and sniffed. That was not nearly as much fun as sniffing wine. Instead of a fruity, full-bodied essence, hinting of Spring blossoms, one of them smelled like piss and the other like putrid mold. Problem solved.

Another screamer patient has upped the ante. If we don't do what he wants the second he wants it, he screams F...!!! His door is now closed which upsets him even more and so he screams even more. I'm not going to do it, but it would be so tempting so yell various things back at him, such as " You wish" or "Like you still could" or "What woman would have you, you useless piece of s...?" I really need a vacation.

An elderly woman said something that truly puzzled me. She was complaining about gas pains and said that she was afraid that if she passed gas, the fetus would come out. I just looked at her wondering if she thought she was pregnant, when she corrected herself and said that she meant feces might come out. I had to leave the room for a minute so that I could laugh and then I came back in and told her that we would clean her if she had an accident and not to worry, this kind of thing happens all of the time.

Another patient, according to her medical record, is being treated for intestinal parasites by an outside homeopathic doctor with acupuncture and herbs. This is a new one for me. If I had intestinal parasites, I'm not sure that I would want someone sticking needles in me or giving me herbs. I would want poison to kill the bloody bastards, but then that's just me.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 1/03/2006 02:55:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Well, i can understand the elderly woman. My friends kept telling me "Michelle, it's just like having a big sh**" LOL!

They were wrong of course, it was like pulling a turkey through ones nose :o)

Congratulations for your normination in the B.O.B Awards!!

 
At 1/03/2006 04:02:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Just wondering, once you determined the first one was urine, why did you smell the second specimen?

 
At 1/04/2006 12:32:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, that's why they say to get the epidural. :)

Sarah, I wanted to make sure that it didn't smell like pee also. I was suspicious that he had handed me 2 bottles of pee since they were both yellow.

I'm sorry about Kerry. You deserve sainthood for taking in an old, sick dog and giving him a good end of life. He knew nothing but love while in your care.

 
At 1/04/2006 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I thought being a mom made me smell gross things. I stand corrected.

 
At 1/05/2006 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

R2Ks, patients produce all of the same icky substances that kids produce, except that the various pathogens in patients alter the natural odors, colors and consistencies. I wish that I could share some of the odors with my blogging friends. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home