web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Urinated On Once Again

My patient was discharged and the transporter said that he was on his way with a wheelchair, so I began untying the patient to have him ready. The patient had been tied down because it was the only way to keep him in bed and he was too unsteady on his feet to walk. The transporter didn't come right away which created a problem. I was much too busy to stand there and watch the patient, but I didn't dare leave him. I saw an aide on the other side of the unit and decided to ask her to babysit. I walked over towards her, while looking over my shoulder at the patient. Before I reached the aide, I saw the patient start to get up. I flew across the unit, pulling something in my groin in the process, and caught him just as he started to fall face first.

Then the patient said he wanted to pee. I handed him a bottle and stood there holding him up while he went. His aim was off and urine began running down his legs and my legs too. I called that to his attention and then he dropped the bottle on the floor. The resulting splash got my shoes. The transporter arrived at this time, so I dried the patient and plunked him down in the wheelchair. Good riddance. Oh, and of course, this was the at beginning of the shift. The evening went downhill from there.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 1/05/2006 03:45:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

You have the patience of a saint :)

 
At 1/05/2006 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Like Michelle said. You are just amazing to me.

 
At 1/05/2006 03:37:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

She has access to drugs. :)

 
At 1/05/2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Ugh. Gross!
Poor Melissa ;-)

 
At 1/06/2006 12:17:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, everyone. And you're right Dave, access to drugs does make it all worthwhile. Why else would I be doing this job? :)

 
At 1/06/2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Please tell me you keep an extra set of scrubs in your locker.

 
At 1/07/2006 01:54:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

No, Sarah, I don't. Pee dries quickly, as long as it doesn't get inside my shoes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home