web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, September 01, 2006

A Changed Room

Feeling the need for some change in my life, I re-decorated my entire living room today and it didn't cost a single penny. The room feels entirely different now. So, how did I do it? No, I didn't trade "favors" with a decorator. I just moved the furniture 45 degrees around and removed most of the crap covering the walls. Some of the crap was from the dogs tracking mud, pee and poo into the house and then shaking. Some of the crap was in the form of bamboo screens and way too much stuff nailed to the walls.

Now the storage bedroom is jam-packed with even more of my things, but at least the downstairs looks better. I find it difficult to part with things, I mostly just move them around.

The scary part was seeing what was under and behind the couch. Black widow spiders had set up housekeeping and mice had been stockpiling dog food. I'm so hoping that the mice were just visiting and aren't hunkered down somewhere else in the house.

The bamboo screens had black widow spiders clinging to them as well. I'm trying not to think about what is behind the other furniture. I'm not in the mood to peek and find out.

Most of the day was spent vacuuming, scrubbing, washing and hosing things off. I so badly wanted to drag the hose in the house to work on the walls. Too bad that's against the rules.

I'm very happy with the room now. It's clean, uncluttered, allowed me to work off some nervous energy and it was FREEEEE!


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 9/01/2006 07:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to show us!

Black widow spiders... I think I would be moving after seeing that. Sounds like time for an exterminator.

 
At 9/01/2006 10:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would call the exterminator immediately. Have you ever seen a black widow spider bite on a dog? Not good.

 
At 9/01/2006 10:04:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Good for you. I think there is something very uplifting about cleaning house.

By the way, glue trays really do work on mice. I had a friend use them and he trapped every one of his mice in about 3 days.

 
At 9/02/2006 01:04:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I don't miss black widow spiders at all... we had loads of them in Phoenix... oh and sewer roaches!!! I HATED them...they came from the irrigation and no way to stop them. Here we just get mice and huge giant RATS! My cats take care of them just perfectly. I am also trying to declutter my house... I don't throw things out either...but have been trying

 
At 9/02/2006 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah....nothing like a good room cleaning to get one relaxed.

Although Black Widows would have been rather anxiety producing.

Maybe the mice just used your home as their local restaurant because they liked the dog food.

Up at our farm, I saw a mouse come out in the kitchen...I threw him some peanuts and watched him go! He thought he was in mouse Las Vegas!

Hubby doesn't understand why I do that...

 
At 9/03/2006 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, do you want to see a photo of the spiders or mouse droppings? :)

Anon, I'm more afraid of pesticides than of spiders. Pesticides may cause cancer, while black widows tend to hide and leave everyone alone.

Gary, but then you have live mice stuck in the trap. How do you humanely dispose of them?

Madwag, I wish that I could borrow someone's cat.

Kim, I bet that mouse told all of his friends about you. :)

 
At 9/03/2006 01:43:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

You could come redo my house AND have a free holiday!

 
At 9/03/2006 11:00:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Yeah - now that you are done with your house - wanna come to mine ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home