web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

It's Important to Chew Before Swallowing

Richard dropped by at work and asked for some chux. Those are plastic lined sheets of paper that are put under leaky patients. Since he's a psychiatrist who never gets his hands dirty, it seemed like an odd thing to want, but I went to go get him some.

On the way to the cabinet, he said that they were for personal use. I thought for a second and wondered if Richard had some kind of leakage problem, but instead, I asked if he got a puppy. He said no and explained that he swallowed some dental work and needed to get it back. I'm a nurse and am used to discussing poop, but this was a little weird.

He started grabbing the chux and taking more and more. He took between 15 and 20 of them. I didn't say anything, but how many times did he think that he would need to poop to get his dental work back?

He left and then came back a few minutes later and asked how he was going to do this. I didn't know what he meant and suggested using a colander and hosing it in the back yard. He just wanted to know how he was going to "go" on a chux. This conversation just kept getting weirder and weirder. I suggested a bedpan and handed him one. He took it, but he looked kind of pathetic carrying a pile of chuxes and a bedpan, so I put his treasures in a big patient belongings bag. Joking, I said that it's easier to steal stuff if it's in a bag. He looked astonished and said that he's not stealing it, it's for his personal use. I didn't say anything, but he knows more about medicine than the law. It was theft and I was an accessory.

At least I now have some idea of how Richard will be spending his weekend. I'm kind of glad that I won't be around for that.


~ Home

15 Comments:

At 1/27/2007 09:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's gross. I don't know about this Richard.

 
At 1/27/2007 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I guess this answers the "Weekend Mystery" question.

 
At 1/27/2007 01:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm frightened now.

 
At 1/27/2007 03:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? did he swallow a 24 carat gold tooth?

 
At 1/27/2007 05:32:00 PM, Blogger ERRN4U said...

Truly bizzare, are you certain you are still interested in this strange sounding man???

Sallie

 
At 1/27/2007 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow. I thought he had just swallowed it and was going to purge, but that route is a whole different thing. A big diamond..ok that is just going back on your hand, but he's gonna put that thing back in his mouth? TMI
Match.com is sounding better all the time.

 
At 1/27/2007 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Anon #1, it is gross, but medical people are different from normal people. We talk about things that normal people don't.

Alan, who knew that this was how he was going to spend his weekend?

Anon #2, that's funny. Should I be frightened too?

May, he swallowed a dental implant.

Errn4u, it is odd, but I've known people in the past who have had similar problems. Most people just don't talk about it.

Sarah, the tooth has a sharp metal post that could cause a perforation or obstruction. Aside from the expense involved of replacing the tooth, he needs to know if it safely got through the digestive tract.

 
At 1/27/2007 08:24:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I have to give Richard points for moxie. I would NEVER have told you half of what he told you. LOL

 
At 1/27/2007 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah, if that had happened to me,I would have quietly taken care of it and never told anyone.

 
At 1/28/2007 04:44:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Well, I hope that the dental implant comes out alright and that he decides to get a different one. yuck.

Also, umm... does he OWN the hospital? He seems to have trouble distinguishing between personal and company supply needs, not to be rude or anything. Everyone borrows stuff from their company on occasion, I'm sure, but at least they know that's what they're doing..

Maybe he was just frazzled.

 
At 1/28/2007 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Good news. The tooth safely came out and is soaking in alcohol to be cemented back in. I'll have to think about kissing him knowing where that tooth has been.

I find it hard to believe also that Richard doesn't know what theft is. Maybe he considered it a work-related injury because he swallowed the tooth at work.

 
At 1/28/2007 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

this guy.... I don't know what to say about him really... just a bit on the odd side. He may seem completely normal if he were from the UK...lol. I'm glad everything worked out well in the end.

 
At 1/29/2007 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I told my mom the story and she thought it was so funny. She figured that he felt comfortable telling me because I'm nurse and have seen everything.

 
At 1/30/2007 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ok, the more i learn about this guy the more i have to wonder......if he is the patient and not the Psychiatrist!

 
At 1/31/2007 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've always suspected that people have to be a little bit crazy to go into that field, but it's okay because I'm crazy too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home