web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Stupid Nurse Tricks

Our new patient arrived on a gurney pushed by three nurses wearing TB masks. The patient was suspected of having TB, so until we knew for sure, we were using TB precautions. There was just one tiny problem; the patient wasn't wearing a mask. She was coughing, spewing and foaming at the mouth as she was transported through the hospital corridors. At least the three nurses thought to protect themselves, if no one else.




When admitting patients, we're required to explain the pain scale and find out on a scale of1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, at what number they want to receive pain medicine. Some nurses will explain this rather abstract concept endlessly until the hopelessly lost patient gives them a number just to get them to shut up. I will only explain it twice before concluding that the patient needs a number chosen for them. If a patient is confused, I'll just write "confused" down on the form because the pain scale isn't used for confused patients.

I overheard my coworker explaining the pain scale to a patient. Actually, the entire floor overheard her explaining it because she was yelling. The patient had Alzheimers and didn't even know her own name, but that didn't stop the nurse from demanding that the patient give her a number. She even yelled, "If you don't give me a number, I'll be fired." The patient has a good excuse for her mental short-comings. What was the nurse's excuse?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 1/19/2007 07:22:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I always say ten. I get the best meds that way. (just kidding)

 
At 1/19/2007 02:57:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

When I attempted to remove my thumb with a handsaw (fortunately the bone stopped it) and went to the emergency room, they had a pain scale on the wall with little emoticon type faces. We thought it was rather amusing and poked fun at it for a while. I finally picked number 2. Does your scale have the little faces?

 
At 1/19/2007 04:30:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Power tools are better for that, Alan. ;)

 
At 1/19/2007 06:35:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, if you choose 10, you won't get medication until your pain is a 10 with 10 being the worst. I would have picked a one for you. My friends get the best stuff. :)

Alan,we use faces for children and people of simple intelligence. Adults of normal intelligence get numbers. Uh, I wonder what it means that you were shown the faces scale. :)

Dave, I hope that you're not speaking from personal experience.

 
At 1/20/2007 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

here they ask you and still give you loads of meds... I think that is why the wards are so quiet???? I was really medicated.. more than I ever remember being back in the US... maybe I am mistaken... but it sure seemed that way.

 
At 1/20/2007 07:31:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I do my best to keep my patients heavily medicated as well. The best kind of patient is a sleeping one.

 
At 1/21/2007 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Tip of the hat to Dave, that was a great line.

Melissa, also a good line. I think you're on to me now.

Lots of laughs from both of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home