web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Dirty Fingers And A Hamburger

One of my coworkers broke her finger and is wearing a finger splint. The splint must be kept dry which means that she cannot wash her finger. So, after she does her nursing duties, she washes only 9 fingers. She must have one dirty finger.

Another coworker cut his finger and must keep the dressing dry. He deals with his problem by wearing a glove all of the time and even washes his hands while wearing a glove. The glove does not come off until it tears.

It violates all kinds of rules and laws for a nurse to not be able to wash his or her hands. Management knows of these injuries and doesn't care.

How would you like to be a patient in my hospital?




An x-ray tech came out of a patient's room and asked, "Can I get a hamburger?" I just stared at him and wondered if he thought that I had some hamburgers lying around. It turns out that what he really said was, "Can I get a hand with her?"


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 07:19:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

hamburger... love it.

dirty fingers... yuck.

at the end of every patients bed in the hospital where I stayed was a pump bottle of gel hand cleaner. The nurses, doctors and staff used it regularly... so did I!!! They also have them mounted on the walls thoughout the hospital w/ a sign suggesting that everyone used it... including visitors.

 
At 1/22/2007 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

We have those to on every wall, but we don't use them. The alcohol burns the tiny cuts on our hands, eats away at our skin and the gel leaves a sticky residue. It also doesn't kill C diff, a common bug problem. We just use soap and water and illegal moisturizer from home, assuming we can wash our hands.

 
At 1/23/2007 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

"How would you like to be a patient in my hospital?"

I dunno, are the nurses cute?

 
At 1/23/2007 08:24:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

There are some cute nurses if you don't mind dirty fingers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home