web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Menamalariapause


I feel like I have malaria. I wake up at night dripping in sweat. I throw the covers off of me and fall asleep. The next thing I know, I'm freezing to death, so the covers go back on. Next, I'm roasting and wet again. The blankets go on and off all night. No wonder I wake up exhausted and feel like I've spent the night drinking and dancing on tables when all I did was try to sleep.

In the daytime it's even worse. The sweat makes my make up run and my bangs cling to my forehead. I want to start fanning myself, but I don't want to call attention to myself. Some of my coworkers have tiny fans on their desks for hot flashes, but I'm still in denial and not ready for that. Rather than admit that I'm starting to go through the change, I prefer to think that I have malaria.

Last year I started having minor power surges. I felt like my metabolism was revving up at times, but it didn't bother me. If these were hot flashes, I didn't understand why women were being such babies about it. It was nothing. And I was right, it was nothing compared to what I'm going through now.

Now it feels like my skin is on fire, so burning, hot and tingly, and this may go on for years. How annoying is that? I just bought the stuff in the photo. If it doesn't work, I may have to switch to hormones.

I wonder, though, how many calories I'm burning? That kind of heat must take quite a few calories to generate. Has anyone ever calculated how many calories are in a hot flash?


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 1/28/2007 12:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had wonderful results with black cohosh. Do you ever feel physically ill when you are having these hot flashes? I feel awful sometimes and I am overweight for the first time in my life. Try the black cohosh. I can tell a big difference when I run out of it.

 
At 1/28/2007 04:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The otc herbs work well if used on a consistent basis. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to kick in, tho. BTW, menopause ususally makes the metabolism more sluggish, making it difficult to loose weight. Sorry.

 
At 1/28/2007 05:23:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sounds like "Your personal summer is really a bummer." If you get a chance, check out the travelling Broadway show "Menopause The Musical". It is hilarious. Guys and gals can both relate to it.

 
At 1/28/2007 08:21:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I am wondering whether coffee drinking makes them happen more often. I've never heard of the fan trick. That's pretty inventive.

 
At 1/28/2007 11:10:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

I am not looking forward that time in my life at all.... bleh. It isn't fair I say.

 
At 1/29/2007 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Anon, the herbal I'm trying contains black cohosh among other things. I do feel pyhsically ill when I'm having hot flashes. It feels like I'm coming down with a bad case of the flu or malaria.

Connie, I'll give it one month with the herbals and then I'm going to ask for hormones. This isn't something we have to put up with.

Alan, my personal summer had better be gone by summer. If it's this bad when it's cold, I don't want to wait and see what it's like when it's hot. I'll see that show if it ever comes to town.

Gary, I don't drink coffee normally, so I can't blame that. The electric fans are a good idea except that it announces to the world that you have hot flashes.

Madwag, it can be managed. I won't be putting up with this much longer.

 
At 1/29/2007 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I tried the pre-whatever Estroven once and it seemed to work pretty well.

My mom still drives, in the dead of winter (well, as wintery as VA can get) with the window down. Brr...

 
At 1/30/2007 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, I've stopped using the heater in my car and my electric blanket. This is serious.

 
At 1/30/2007 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOL @ Alan..."personal summer"!

Jeez, after reading about your personal summer, i am not looking forward one little bit to mine. I have had a few symptoms that could be a sign, but that could also be me and my paranoid self.

 
At 1/31/2007 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've been doing some research on the subject and this is worse than I imagined. I'm going to have to write another post on the subject.

 
At 1/31/2007 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Michelle - I can't take credit for the line. It's actually a lyric from the show, Menopause The Musical. Highly recommended.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home