web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Peeing In The Wrong Hat

One of my patients peed in another patient's hat. Not the kind of hat that you wear on your head, but the kind of hat that goes in the toilet and is used to measure urine. It's called a hat because if you turn it upside down, it looks like a hat, sort of.

Normally, going in the wrong hat wouldn't be such a problem, but one of the patients had MRSA. The patients should not have been in the same room, but we had no other beds available. This is the kind of thing that happens when you combine infectious and clean patients.




The day shift nurse was introducing me to my patient and mentioned that she had given him a suppository earlier for constipation. She asked him if he was able to poop. He said yes, so naturally, she asked how big it was.

He just looked at her with big eyes. Seeing how uncomfortable he was, I felt the need to say something. With mock indignation, I asked if that meant he didn't measure it for us. I don't recall his answer exactly, but it had something to do with how odd nurses are. Since when has it been considered odd to ask people about their poop? Don't all people have these discussions?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 3/16/2007 09:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to think you didn't even ask him to describe his poop :)

may
www.aboutanurse.com

 
At 3/16/2007 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when our daughter was an infant. Young parents just love discussing the contents of their babie's diapers.

 
At 3/16/2007 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, you're right. What kind of nurses are we?

Connie, you could really embarrass Debbie now if you wanted to. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home