web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Life Is a Bitch



Dear, sweet Kelsey passed away. His cancer was growing rapidly and he had a GI bleed. He stopped eating solid food for two days. He drank only water and a few sweet pea leaves. He wouldn't touch chicken, beef scrambled eggs, cheese or any of the usual foods he loves.

He kept getting weaker until this morning he tried to stand up and collapsed. He had slid into a place not reachable by me. He was clearly suffering and not responding to me.

I did what I do for end-stage patients. I gave him a large dose of morphine. He relaxed and his breathing was no longer labored. I sat with him, petted and massaged him and told him how lucky I was to have him. After four hours, I had to leave for work, so tearfully, I asked my parents to come and stay with him, so that he would not die alone.

They came and took over the death watch. I have the greatest parents to help me out in times of crisis. I cried all of the way to work. I didn't cry at work, I was just a zombie and barely made it through the shift. On the way home, I cried on the drive home. I didn't know what I would face at home.

My parents left a letter for me taped to the door into the house. They said that Kelsey stopped breathing at three thirty-five and never woke up. His death was peaceful surrounded by his loved ones. My parents took his body to their home. I would have preferred to bury him in the back yard, but if he is cremated, than we can someday be buried together.

Kelsey was my best friend. He was a rescue dog who needed a home when I needed a dog. I tried to be a good guardian to him and he was a sweet, gentle platinum blonde Golden Retriever who followed me all around the house. His hair was the same shade as my hair which pleased me. Children should look like their mothers. I didn't just lose a dog, but my son and best friend. He was only seven years old.

Update, 2/21/08:

I wrote this post after washing down three xanax's with a beer. I couldn't walk without bouncing against the walls and furniture, but somehow managed to write this post, such as it was. I cleaned up the typos today, but left the rest of the post intact, despite my desire to rewrite it.

I was out of my mind with grief. There were a number of people I could have called, but how do you talk when you can't stop crying? It made more sense to write. I reached out into the Internet in pain and people wrote back to comfort me in my time of need. It means more than I can express in words to receive all of your kind comments. Thank you all.


~ Home

17 Comments:

At 2/19/2008 06:01:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

*hugs*

 
At 2/19/2008 09:31:00 AM, Blogger Keeneye said...

I'm crying with you. You are a wonderful mom, Melissa. Kelsey was so lucky to have you.

 
At 2/19/2008 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I am so sorry Melissa. I know how hard this has been for you. He is no longer suffering but playing with his best friend Murphy. I wish there was something I could do for you, but I know we just have to grieve the loss of such a sweet boy who knew nothing but love from his mommy.

 
At 2/19/2008 05:29:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sorry for your loss Melissa. Kelsey was a lucky dog to have been rescued by you. Seven years is just too short.

 
At 2/19/2008 06:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry. And, yes, he was so lucky to have you as his owner.

 
At 2/19/2008 09:30:00 PM, Blogger Southern Gal Nursing Student said...

I am so sorry. My heart is heavy for you. Kelsey's life was too short. Take care of yourself.

 
At 2/19/2008 09:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss.

 
At 2/20/2008 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I'm sorry. You are such a good, kind and caring dog mum... he had a wonderful life because of you and your family.

 
At 2/20/2008 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel lucky that I have gotten to know him through your blog. I'm sure your other dogs will help you through this. Take care.

 
At 2/20/2008 02:45:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

I was afraid that was why you weren't around. I'm so sorry about your friend and companion.

 
At 2/20/2008 09:10:00 PM, Blogger may said...

sorry to hear this...

 
At 2/22/2008 11:09:00 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

Please accept my greatest sympathies. Such a handsome dog!

 
At 2/22/2008 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

I am so sorry.

 
At 2/23/2008 06:30:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I am so sorry, Melissa. My prayers are with you. I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 2/24/2008 12:38:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

I'm so sorry that you lost such a precious friend at such a young age but I'm glad you didn't change the post, it's very moving and conveys your grief perfectly. *hugs*

 
At 2/28/2008 01:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so sorry, kelsey is a lucky boy for having had you in his life. he is running free now.

 
At 3/02/2008 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Jacq said...

Oh honey, I am SO SORRY to hear about your beloved Kelsey. I haven't been tuning into your blog recently. Forgive me!

My thoughts are with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home