web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Minty Fresh Bottoms

My excuse was that I wasn't wearing my reading glasses. I don't know what the excuse was for the nurse who handed me the bottle. At least she was wearing her glasses. Anyway, what happened is that I washed diarrhea off of someone's bottom with mouthwash. It made the patient very unhappy. Minty fresh bottoms are not a good thing.




The shift usually starts out with an argument. Today's argument was over staffing. We were told that one of our patients wasn't to be counted in calculating the nurse to patient ratios. Yes, it's true that the patient was dead, but still, one of the nurses had to be assigned to the dead patient.

In spite of being dead, dead patients are quite a bit of work. The paperwork is heavy and we were expecting family to come and view the body. I can't believe that anyone would argue that dead people aren't to be counted in the census. But I guess if the staffing is illegal, people will argue anything they can think of to make the staffing legal, at least on paper.

I am curious, though. California's law is that there must be one nurse for every five patients. I wonder if it's okay to assign more patients if some of them are dead? :)


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 2/23/2008 06:27:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

LOL... that made me laugh so hard I cried! :)

 
At 2/23/2008 08:35:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I would think some butts could use a little minty freshness!

 
At 2/23/2008 04:52:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

There's a bit of a philosophical question here. Can a dead person be a patient?

Patient: an individual awaiting or under medical care and treatment.

I'm unclear about out what medical care or treatment would benefit a dead person . . . :o}

 
At 2/24/2008 06:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's 1 cool ass there!

 
At 2/25/2008 11:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, glad you enjoyed it.

Mahala, you'd think it would help, but minty fresh bottoms burn.

Bulldog, dead people don't need treatments, but they do require nursing care. Someone has to remove the tubes, clean and wrap the body, make phone calls and arrange transportation to the morgue, not to mention the paperwork. Dead people benefit from this because otherwise they would just rot in bed. :)

Anon, cool and burning.

 
At 2/27/2008 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

wow... you do all that to the bodies??? Here we usually get them just wrapped up... tubes still in and dirty. I would say they are still patients.. they are still there, dead or alive.

love the bottom wash... classic :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home