web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Special Event

There was plenty of warning concerning the "special event." For weeks, road signs had flashed warnings about road closures for the special event. As the date approached, I memorized what day and time I would need to stay home. No mention was made what the special event was about, but I figured it was either a parade, walk or marathon. I didn't especially care. I just didn't want to be caught in the road closures.

On the big day, I woke to dogs barking. The special event wasn't scheduled for another four hours, but workers were already at the bottom of the hill getting set up. It wasn't time for me to get up, so I was feeling cranky about my sleep being interrupted. Getting the dogs to be quiet was hopeless. Everything within sight of our house is the dog's territory and so the dogs get upset whenever anyone trespasses on their property. It is perfectly understandable.

An hour before the special event, the dogs were completely going nuts. People were parking all over the street and walking to the bottom of the hill. Neighbors were walking by with their dogs. I was sitting on the couch with a view of the bottom of the hill. I was trying to read the paper, but I couldn't concentrate with all of the racket. I mainly just stared out the window and wished that the special event would be over soon.

I knew that the special event was near my house when I heard the helicopter coming. A news crew must have been filming. Next a cop car drove by making little whoop, whoop noises. It was followed by a group of bicyclists. They were in a tight cluster and were visible for about ten seconds from my window. They were followed by support vehicles and an ambulance.

The crowd left and finally it was quiet again. It seemed like a lot of trouble for a ten second show.
It wasn't until later I learned that Lance Armstrong rode by. If I had known he was coming, I would have tried to get a picture. Maybe next time.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 2/24/2009 09:23:00 AM, Blogger Christian Kay said...

That's hilarious!

 
At 2/24/2009 05:20:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

They closed down the whole road for him. Bizarre.

 
At 2/27/2009 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Christian, you found it more amusing than I did. :)

Lisa, the odd thing was, he wasn't even competing. He was there to support another cyclist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home