web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Homecoming

Daddy is going to be coming home soon. He has been stuck in a nursing home for nearly two months. This has been upsetting to me and it has been hard for me not to be angry at my mother for leaving him there.

After his last hospitalization, he was too weak to stand, so the hospital, without asking, transferred him to a nursing home for physical rehab. I wanted to bring him home and have physical therapists come to the house, but my mother didn't think she could handle him. She was adamant that he would stay in the nursing home for the time being.

Eventually, he could walk again, but my mother still didn't want to bring him home because he needed to wear diapers. She kept raising the bar for what was required to come home. Every time we visited, he would ask when he could come home. It was heartbreaking for me.

I was tempted to bring him home with me, but I'm gone so much, I would need 24 hour a day caregivers for him. I don't make that kind of money.

In the nursing home, Daddy was starting to deteriorate. He was losing weight, refusing to get out of bed and mostly just staring off into space with glazed-over eyes. He rarely talked and wouldn't respond to questions. I thought that he was suffering from depression. His only request was for water.

Finally, a bill came for the amount of the nursing home not covered by Medicare. It was for six thousand, six hundred and six dollars, plus change. It was the sign of the Anti-Christ. Now, my mother was ready to take Daddy home. She didn't know how to get him out, so I took care of it. It was simple. I just went to the nursing station and said that we wanted to take my father home. They called a doctor to get discharge orders, but the doctor wanted my father to go to the emergency room first to be checked out. He was showing signs of developing pneumonia.

I said fine and later we met him at the hospital. The first thing I noticed was that IV fluid was running about four times faster than would be expected for someone with my father's health problems. I knew immediately why. Daddy was dehydrated. With the fluids, he had already perked up. His eyes were sharp and alert again.

He was admitted so that they could continue to treat him for his severe dehydration. I am so angry. First of all, I'm angry at myself for not recognizing the dehydration. I'm a nurse. There is no excuse.

I'm also angry at the nursing home. They should have been monitoring his fluid intake. Daddy would drink anything put in front of him, so I'm sure that they just weren't giving him enough fluids to drink. The nurses had a duty to make sure he was properly hydrated. Even if my father was refusing fluids, which I doubt, they needed to get an order to give him IV fluids. It was below the standard of care to allow him to get dehydrated.

I'm planning on making a complaint against the nursing home's license. Lindsay wants to sue them for elder neglect. This may turn into a big lawsuit. I would love to get them shut down so that they can't abuse any more patients.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 3/13/2009 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I sympathize with your situation. Based on your previous blog, though, I'm not sure your mom could have handled your dad's needs. It sounds like she could use some help of her own. Perhaps Medicare would pay for someone to stop by the house a couple of times per day? I'm sure that would be much cheaper than paying for an incompetent, understaffed nursing home.

 
At 3/16/2009 01:34:00 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

It's strange, actually. You'd think they'd want to keep such a good source of income healthy enough to keep pulling in the checks. Here in Sweden I've always assumed that this kind of behavior (which I've seen lots of, and which always makes me feel like punching people in the gut) was due to the fact that the government pays for nursing home care. Apparently there is some deeper reason at work too.

They may have been giving him enough to drink, though. Iv fluid is like sport drink light. It's got the right levels of sugar and salts to be taken up and used immediately. Drinking water won't help dehydation if someone isn't eating. This doesn't excuse the nursing home. They've got responsibility for the entire picture. But it means that if he went on just drinking at home he'd dehydrate again. I'm sure, though, that just getting away from the nursing home will replentish his desire to live.

 
At 3/21/2009 08:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

びっくりしました。色々と有難うございます。

 
At 3/22/2009 07:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, Medicare won't pay for the kind of care my dad needs. I'm willing to pay for someone to help out for a few hours a day, but my mom keeps refusing help.

Jeanne, now that my dad is in the hospital, he is like a different person. His appetite is good. I think that the nursing home dehydrated him so badly that he was too weak to eat.

 
At 4/03/2009 05:42:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'm glad to read your dad is feeling a bit better. Medicare doesn't pay much of anything, does it? And nursing homes can be awful. I can see where there's sometimes not the choice. Caring for a home-bound patient can be quite the handful, especially in your mother's condition (even relatively coherent, I had a tough time).

It seems like nursing homes become the antithesis of what they should be, at times. I don't understand it at all. I couldn't live with myself as a carer/nurse.

Hope you're all doing better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home