web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Georgie

Not that they were ever enemies, but my dogs had become especially nice to Georgie lately. They has always been a little jealous of him. But now, MacKenzie often sat next to him on the couch. She would kiss his face. Tommy, who had always been aloof, would sniff his face. I was happy that we were finally a happily family. But, it turns out the dogs knew something that I didn't.

My sweet, blonde cocker had become a finicky eater over the last week or so. I was begging him to eat roast chicken, roast beef, cheese, bacon, and anything else I could think of. Yesterday, he would only drink water.
He was also panting. The weather was fairly cool, but he has such a thick coat of fur, I thought perhaps a shearing my help cool him off. I sheared the fur around his neck and chest, but it didn't help.

I took his temperature and it was 103.5. His nose was chapped and a little bit of milky discharge was coming from his nostrils, so I made an appointment to see the vet that afternoon. In the meantime, Georgie would not sit or lie down. He just stood and panted. I figured that he had pneumonia and just needed some antibiotics.

The vet took some x-rays and said that his lungs appeared to be filled with fluid. There was also some distortion in his chest cavity, like everything was being pushed to the side. He thought that Georgie had heart failure which was causing his lungs to fill with fluid. Or, it could be cancer.

The vet said that Georgie was in critical condition and needed to go to a 24 hour emergency hospital. While I was in the waiting room, the vet came out and told me that Georgie was crashing. He let me come in the back. Georgie had passed out, but now an oxygen mask was on Georgie's face. He was doing better, but every time they tried getting the mask off, his tongue turned blue.

The vet said there was a good possibility that Georgie would die on the way to the hospital, but there was no alternative. The vet had me turn the air conditioner in my car on full blast and once the car was good and cold, Georgie was put in my car. He did fine on the drive. I think that the stress of being at the vets office was what had pushed him over the edge.

The next vet put him in a glass cage with pumped in oxygen. They let me stay with him. He looked so cute, just like a dog for sale in a pet store. I was able to put my arm through a port and pet him.
More x-rays were done and the vet said the Georgie had a hernia in his diaphragm and that his intestines, liver and other organs had migrated into the chest cavity. This was squishing his lungs and explained why he was so short of breath. It was something that could be surgically repaired. It would be expensive, but when it comes to my dogs, there is no such thing as too much money.

The vet found a thoracic surgeon who could operate on Georgie that night, but it was at a hospital in West LA. They had me wait a couple of hours until rush hour traffic eased up. They checked sig alerts and as soon as it looked okay, they let me take Georgie, again with the air conditioner running full blast. His tongue was a little blue on the trip, but he was a trooper.

So far, the day had cost me nine hundred dollars, but that was fine. My dogs are priceless and get the best of everything. At the surgical center, they asked for five thousand dollars and got it. I would have signed over title to my house if they had asked. I just wanted Georgie well again.

The thoracic surgeon was on her way. They suggested that I go home and wait, so I did. The surgeon called before the surgery to explain the risks and said that she wasn't at all sure that she could save Georgie. I told her to operate and just do her best.

About and hour later, the vet called in the middle of surgery. She said that Georgie had had the hernia for years and that it wasn't the cause for Georgie's respiratory distress. There was a massive growth on Georgie's lung and liver. It looked cancerous. If she removed his lung, the remaining lung would not be able to compensate. His prognosis was extremely grim. She recommended not waking him from the surgery. In tears, I agreed to let him go.

My heart is broken and I can't stop crying. Georgie came from the pound and I only had him for less than two years. It's just not fair. Four months ago, I broke my dependence/addiction to Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug. Now I'm back on it, big time. It's not doing anything for the grief, but at least it made the panic attacks stop.
In the meantime, a candle, with his collar in a circle around it, is burning. Lindsay, my boyfriend, said that it will help guide his soul to Heaven. Lindsay is more spiritual than I am, but who am I to say it won't help? Rituals serve a purpose sometimes.




~ Home

8 Comments:

At 6/12/2009 07:15:00 PM, Blogger Southern Gal Nursing Student said...

Oh Melissa I am so, so sorry you lost Georgie. I remember when you got him. I just think how fortunate for him that you did find him and bring him home. He had a wonderful home with you and the other doggys.

 
At 6/12/2009 07:16:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Melissa - I am so very sorry. One of the hard parts of loving dogs...take care and know that you gave him terrific love! Heidi

 
At 6/13/2009 10:24:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious dog. You've had a rough couple of years, haven't you? I'm sure your other dogs and your boyfriend will help get you through this. And so will all of your blogger friends. We are here for you. Take care.

 
At 6/14/2009 07:55:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

awww.... Dang it! I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

 
At 6/14/2009 08:15:00 PM, Blogger Keeneye said...

I'm crying for you. You are so much tougher than I am. What a horrible thing.

Georgie.

Dang dog. You are an awesome dog guardian and friend. I know what you feel, and want you to know that I'm thinking of you.

:o(

 
At 6/14/2009 08:29:00 PM, Blogger Christian Kay said...

I am soooo sooooo sorry for your loss :( You did everything you could. When things like this happen, I panic about my own dogs because unfortunately I don't have the money to help them if something hugely expensive needs to be done :( I panic and feel so guilty because of this. They are my children. I will be lost without them and yet I won't be able to do for them what you were able to do for your Georgie. Be comforted by the fact that you saved him from a life at the pound. You gave him a dream life and all he knows is that he was one lucky dog!

I am grieving with you :( RIP Georgie.

 
At 6/16/2009 05:35:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sorry for you loss. Pets really do become part of the family.

 
At 6/24/2009 04:42:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Southern Gal, thank you.

Heidi, thank you.

Connie, thank goodness I have my other furry kids. A house isn't a home without a dog.

Lisa, thank you.

Keeneye, it made me cry again to read that it made you cry.

Christian Kay, I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on vet's bills over the years, but my dogs all died anyway. Don't worry about not being able to afford extraordinary measures. Just continue to love them while you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home