web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Fast Learner

The family of a patient emphasized tonight that she only spoke Spanish and didn't know a single word of English. After the family left, the nurse noticed that the patient was lying under a pile of blankets. Concerned that she might be too hot, she asked the patient, in English, if she would like some of those blankets removed. In perfect English, the patient answered, "No, that's okay."


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 8/11/2005 07:18:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Nice. I know a lot of people who fake that :)

 
At 8/11/2005 08:20:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

That happens ALL the time.
Even in report from the previous shift: "Oh, they only speak spanish...", and then you go in there and they answer everything appropriately.

 
At 8/11/2005 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, everyone is such a cynic. I'm sure that she just suddenly mastered the English language in about an hour. ;)

 
At 8/13/2005 03:18:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

And to think, i thought they only learned that quick down here!

 
At 8/13/2005 07:41:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lol! So, it's a world wide problem.

 
At 8/25/2005 08:42:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love to play the "I don't understand" game. It came in especially handy last year when my friend was in a car accident and I stood near the man who hit her and listened to him and his friends plan their stories of how it happened in spanish. Don't they realize we have to take a second language in college?

 
At 8/26/2005 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

You remember what you learned in college? They must have figured that most people forget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home