web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Going to a Play Over the Hill

I live on the outskirts of LA and truly dislike going downtown. I sometimes joke that I will only go "over the hill" if required by a summons. I didn't receive a summons, but an invitation from a friend to go see a play at the Music Center. I accepted. The picture above is of the Taj Mahoney. It is a cathedral that has been unofficially named after Cardinal Mahoney who was responsible for it being built. I wish that I could tell you the real name of the cathedral, but I don't know it and I didn't see any signs saying what it is named. I don't think that it's much to look at from the outside. Perhaps the interior is nice. It is not really slanted like that, I took the picture in a hurry when driving by.
This is the Disney Center and again, I don't know the proper name of it. It really is slanted like that, unlike the cathedral.
These fountains I really liked. At night they're lit up with soft pink lights which creates a magical mood.

This fountain is in the Music Center. We sat here for about a half an hour and watched and listened to the water. I enjoyed that part as much as the play. The play, Radio Golf, wasn't bad, but I was tired after a long day. I had gotten up early, been in class all day and wasn't really in the mood to sit through two and three quarter hours of dialogue. I really could have used some singing and dancing to keep my attention and more room to stretch my legs.

My camera needed to be hidden before going inside. They confiscate cameras and sometimes search purses, so my friend hid my camera in his pants in a spot that no one would likely pat down. Rather than take away cameras, I think that they should take away cell phones. I counted five phone calls during the performance.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 04:27:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

The architecture is very unique.

 
At 8/27/2005 12:17:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've heard the Disney building described as looking like a shoe box left out in the rain. I also wonder, if it collapses in an earthquake, how will they know? :)

 
At 8/28/2005 01:52:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

LOL! I ask my wife questions like that, too. Is that fish still good? How can you tell? ugh

 
At 8/30/2005 12:45:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

That building is fabulous...amazing. To a Brit such as me to even see a real pic from LA is a treat....the stuff of dreams for me :o)

 
At 8/30/2005 01:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, the way you can tell if fish is still good is to eat it. If you don't get sick, then it was still good.

Gemmak, it is hard for me to imagine downtown LA being a place of anyone's dreams. I think that you would find it depressing, unless you figured out a way to get to the Music Center without seeing the surrounding blight. You're much better off in Scotland.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home