web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Sending in an Apple to do Chocolate's Job




This should have been my day off, but my schedule got changed, so I worked and arrived feeling cranky. It just went downhill from there.

Checking on one patient, I saw that dayshift had done nothing to get the patient set up after arriving from surgery near the end of their shift. With the patient looking blue and lethargic, I began frantically searching for equipment to access the oxygen in the wall. While searching for equipment, two of my other patients decided to vomit at the same time. Another patient was on his call light. I couldn't respond right away, so when I finally got to him, he was mad at me. At the same time an IV pump was alarming because dayshift misprogrammed it, causing it to run dry. I could go on and on, but I think that you get the idea. Things were bad and getting worse every minute. It was all I could to maintain a professional demeanor.

Later, over the intercom, it was announced that free apples and water were being given away. Hoping that would help my mood, I went to go get my treat. On the way, I happened to catch my reflection, and if looks could kill, I would have dropped dead on the spot. Flames were practically shooting from my eyes.

Instead of the apple and water, I took a chocolate and tea break. After the proper amount of sugar, fat and caffeine, I felt much better and was able to look at myself in a mirror without scaring myself, at least not too much.

On a final note, last night's patient who was yelling David all night was still doing it today, only he's really pissed now because David won't answer. At dinner time, he refused to eat a tray unless one of us took a bite of everything on his plate first. Fearing that we were trying to poison him, he wanted one of us to act as a food taster. There being no volunteers, he went hungry tonight. We're as afraid of the food as he is, perhaps more.











~ Home

4 Comments:

At 8/24/2005 08:16:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Now that sounds like a normal night shift, and everyone wonders why there is a nursing shortage!

 
At 8/24/2005 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

And just think, only another 15 years of this before I can retire. :)

 
At 8/25/2005 07:49:00 AM, Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! Yeah, hospital food is VERY SCARY! :-)

 
At 8/25/2005 06:05:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Ours is especially so. I suspect that they make it bad on purpose to get people to leave earlier. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home