web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Dinner and Games

Work started with a major crisis. This is the night that we order food to celebrate Saturday and Debbie wasn't there. Debbie always takes care of that for us. What were we going to do? No one brought any food from home and we would rather die than eat hospital food.

Susan saved the day by finding the stack of take-out menus, called in our orders and collected the money. Whew! That was a close one. (I got the sopes. I don't know if that is spelled properly, but it was yummy.)

To help alleviate the boredom of another slow night, we played a fun after dinner game called "Has anyone seen my keys?." The way the game works is we wait until a nurse lays down his or her narcotic keys and walks away. The key finder takes the keys and waits. Eventually someone will start yelling, "Has anyone seen my keys?" The proper answer is, "You better find them, no one can go home until you find the narc keys." After the proper amount of searching and anxiety, someone says, "I have your keys" and then states where they were found. Everyone has a good laugh and then we wait to play another round.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 8/25/2005 08:13:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You guys are cruel! Just think about the poor nurse who took some valium or xanax after working her double shift yesterday...or worse yet she smoked something and now the keys to the narcs are missing and if the drug count is off everyone gets a drug test!!
I have an idea for a new game! 1st you hide the keys then look around to see who panics and then you'll know what they have been up to! OK I guess I have a cruel streak too!

 
At 8/26/2005 12:19:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

They don't do drug testing here, so it's safe to take what you need to get through the day.

I agree that the game is mean, but it's meant to teach certain nurses that they can't just walk off without the keys. Every nurse having her own set of keys is my personal project which I'm piloting on my unit. If it's successful, the project will be expanded to the whole hospital. If someone loses a set of keys, the project ends and I will get a lot of "I told you so's." I will do whatever is necessary to keep keys from being lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home