web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Please Don't Hate us Because We're Evil

Awhile back, I mentioned a patient who had made our lives a living hell for two and a half months and how intoxicated with joy we were when we got him transferred to another unit. Well, now were afraid. The patient went bad and ended up in ICU. He's better now and is yelling up a storm, so it's just a matter of time before he gets transferred back to a regular medical floor.

That's why we're so afraid, we might get him back. So, we strategically moved our patients around. The patient from hell can only go in a private room, so we filled our private rooms and made up some excuses to explain why we did this. The other units, not thinking ahead, still have empty private rooms available.

There are no guarantees, but we should be okay as long as no one messes up and forgets to quickly fill up a private room if there is a discharge.

This is our way of implementing the new slogan "Be your own cause." (Yes, I know. We're evil.)


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 01:12:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

LMAO!

Now I'm never going to look at that tv ad the same way again!

I don't think you're evil, though. More like strategic. And selfish, maybe. And definitely smart.

 
At 8/18/2005 06:43:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yikes! I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you!

 
At 8/19/2005 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I wish that I could take credit for the brilliance of the patient moving strategy, but a unit secretary taught me that a couple of years ago. I just implement it when necessary. It is selfish, but it's also survival of the fittest. Besides (said with whiny voice) it's someone else's turn to have him. :)

 
At 8/20/2005 06:30:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Anyone who considers that selfish is obviously not and RN and/or has never worked as a floor nurse. You are a saint for doing the hard work you do day after day while still trying to remain an advocate for the patients. It is a thankless job and had I known what it was going to be like to work in the hospital I would have become a mortician!
Sarah (a nurse who no longer works in the hospital setting.)

 
At 8/20/2005 09:09:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lol,Sarah.I appreciate the complement, but you, of all people, know that I'm far from a saint. You're the only one who hears the really good work stories and how I deal with them. I have a large bag of tricks and many coping mechanisms. I'm a survivor, not a saint.


The patient from hell coded again and is back in ICU. We're keeping our private rooms filled and are waiting with considerable apprehension to see what happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home