web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Motorcycles, Guns and Vomit

We have two new patients who both crashed their motorcycles while driving drunk. In one accident, the patient's wife died. What they did was stupid, but I still feel for them, especially for the man who is wearing a wedding ring, but now has no wife. I don't know how a person recovers from that.

We have another patient who accidently shot himself in the leg with a high-powered rifle. His explanation didn't make much sense, but I guess it doesn't really matter how it happened. Our job is just to patch him back together again.

Tonight's star patient vomited. Nothing unusual about that. I can understand how it got all down the front of her , the bed, the bed rails and the floor. But there also was a pile of vomit sitting on top of her head like a smelly cap. Even her ears were filled with vomit.

She was sitting up in bed at the time. How did she manage to spew puke over the top of her head? Gotta give her credit for creativity, though.

We tried to pick the chunks out of her hair, but vomit really sticks to hair strands. After washing her and changing all of the linens she still smelled like partially digested roast beef, rice, diced carrots, milk, bread and watermelon with plenty of stomach acid mixed in. But that's okay. Her roommate also couldn't stop vomiting. (Hope you're not eating, Gemmak.)


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 09:59:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I have to stop eating while reading.

 
At 8/31/2005 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

If you see the word vomit in one of my titles, it might be a good idea to skip that post, unles you're trying to lose weight. :)

 
At 8/31/2005 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think some of the patients sneak in a wagner power sprayer with them, just in case. I had this one woman who managed to get it in a full 360 degree spray pattern, now how else could you do that!

 
At 8/31/2005 01:03:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lol! It might be time to post one of my favorite stories. Tonight, look for a story involving beans that the patient must have used her power sprayer to spew. :)

 
At 9/02/2005 11:59:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Have we been editing posts? :)

 
At 9/02/2005 05:44:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Okay, you caught me. I made another one of my you're vs. your mistakes. How could I resist the temptation to fix that? :)

 
At 9/10/2005 09:41:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Quite an eye for detail dk.

 
At 9/10/2005 09:29:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I pick on him too. It's payback time. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home