web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Party Animal

This is so totally not like me, but I just came back from my second party today. Another one of my friends turned fifty and he threw a large party to mourn celebrate. My first party of the day was a retirement party.

I am not a party animal. My idea of the perfect day is to stay home. I am just so exhausted from smiling and mingling, that I wish I could spend the next two days at home alone to recover. But I can't. My parents are coming over tomorrow for dinner and my house is filthy and I have no food.

The birthday party was a great party, if you like parties. It was in a nice Chinese restaurant and there were eight entrees plus dim sum and cake with lots of booze. The food was incredible, but on the way out I felt so guilty when I noticed that the previously full lobster tank was empty. We ate them all. It's horrible to see a creature alive before you eat it. I need to pretend that meat comes from Styrofoam containers in supermarkets.

The party was unusual in that the birthday boy invited his ex-wife and her family and three of his ex-girlfriends. Everyone came and got along fine. I guess that says something about a person's character when after a relationship ends that people still want to be friends.


~ Home

10 Comments:

At 8/28/2005 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

I outgrew being a party animal a long time ago. Now the highlight of my evening is taking off my shoes at the end of the day. Sad but true.

 
At 8/28/2005 06:00:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Nothing sad about that at all. There's no place like home. :)

 
At 8/28/2005 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Wow, what is that guy's secret? I would never be friends with an ex--at least none of mine.

 
At 8/28/2005 07:27:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Me neither. I don't even know where my former husband lives or if he's remarried and I don't want to know. Even after 8 years alone, the emotions are still too intense to consider having any contact. I don't know how people get over that and become friends.

 
At 8/28/2005 10:45:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Mmmmmmmm lobster! I'm with chicken little on this one, my idea of a great night in is putting my feet up, glass of red and a great movie or book!

 
At 8/28/2005 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah, that works for me too. :)

 
At 8/29/2005 12:11:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

No comment. ;)

 
At 8/29/2005 10:27:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, for every rule there is an exception. ;)

 
At 8/30/2005 03:46:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

OMG, chicken little's profile picture is killing me!

Sean's dad has been married 3 times. And divorced 3 times. I've known Sean long enough to know all the Moms he has and they are all active in our lives, still. Basically, I have 3 mothers-in-law (go ahead, have pity on me). But I have to say that at every family function all the exes attend and get a long quite well. They even call each other before-hand and help figure out what dishes to bring and that kind of thing. Sometimes when I think about it, it's sort of weird.

 
At 8/31/2005 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It is sort of weird, but also nice that people can behave in a mature manner and get along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home