web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Pancit Party

One of our secretaries is retiring and she had a Filipino dinner catered for the hospital staff. We had pancit (of course) which is a greasy rice noodle, pork, seafood and quail egg dish. There were some other dishes that I don't know the name of, such as a barbecued chicken, beef, rice and noodle dish and some beef in garlic sauce served on rice. The food was good although I'm getting a little tired of pancit. (We get it all of the time.)

She also had fresh lichees, tamarinds and tropical fruit. I'm absolutely crazy about tamarinds and am amazed that I used to be afraid of them. (They look too much like hairy rat droppings when shelled.)

Tomorrow we're going to another party to celebrate her retirement. I don't mean to whine, but I hope that we're not getting pancit again. I don't get the pancit obsession. Am I the only one who is tired of it?


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 9/04/2005 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Melissa you are so brave! All the time I worked in the hospital I only ate filipino food once, after they all ate the pancit and no one died I tried it. I hope to never have it pass my lips again it was so greasy. One time I went in the lunchroom and they were sucking raw embryos out of the egg shells, it had some mystical power, I can 't remember what kind of bird it was. Then another time they were pouring this crispy topping all over their lunches. I didn't have my glasses on but I heard the crunching so I looked closer. It looked like little dried worms. As it turns out it was deep fried baby eels, the korean nurse brought those. She was an excellent nurse. Please don't get me wrong, I met some of the nicest filipino nurses, I learned more from the charge nurse in CCU than any of my nursing instructors. She was patient and kind to me and all the patients, no matter how out of control they were. She just increased their morphine dose and smiled at them lovingly. She was amazing, she ran all the codes, when the Doc's came and saw her there they just left, she didn't need them. She had been the charge for 30 yrs. I would happily work my butt off for her, just please don't make me eat the food!

 
At 9/04/2005 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I think what you're describing is baloot (I have no idea how it's spelled. That's just what it sounds like.)It's an unhatched duck that is allowed to decompose before it's eaten. I learned about this from my parents who lived in the Philippines. My coworkers don't like to discuss this subject.

I ask a lot of questions before I eat coworker's food. You can't be too careful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home