web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Top 10 Reasons Why I Want Star Trek Beds In My Unit

10. The patient never has to be helped into or out of bed, nor even undressed.

9. The patient doesn't need any IV lines, tubes or monitor cables.

8. The patient doesn't need to be pulled up in bed, turned or even have a siderail.

7. The patient never needs to be fed and never needs to be bathed.

6. The patient never has an excessive number of visitors.

5. The patient never urinates, defecates, vomits, or expectorates.

4. The patient will get up at the end of 46 minutes, unless killed of in the first 5 minutes of the show to entice you into watching the remainder of the program. He will not need a wheelchair for discharge.

3. The patient rarely needs translator services arranged.

2. The patient never contradicts or denies to the doctor what I just reported the patient had said or done.

1. The patient does not have a call bell, does not call out "NURSE!!!" or demand that his unreasonable request be done because he was a physician in his old country.

by Tom Trimble, RN (with modifications)


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 01:52:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

LOL!

I suppose on Star Trek, when the patient yells, "Nurse!" the bed automatically replies, "Coming!" :)

 
At 8/29/2005 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hey, that's a great idea and we have the technology to do that. Maybe you should patent that idea. Just think, we wouldn't have to yell and the patients wouldn't feel as ignored. :)

 
At 8/30/2005 08:50:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

I like the Star Wars fluid tanks (that Luke was in) better.

 
At 8/30/2005 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I don't recall that, but I do like the concept of sealing a patient in a tank. It sounds like they would be a whole lot easier to take care of. :)

 
At 8/30/2005 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

The workload definently appears more manageable, and those robot Doctors don't yell at you when you have to page them in the middle of the night when your patient is crashing. But I had a hard enough time with the 12 hour shifts all the hospitals are trying to switch to. What are the star trek shifts, something like 30 light years!! And do we have to wear those skin tight unoforms? I really like my clothes to be loose and comfortable, you know with the all you can eat buffet waistband! (We can't all have Melissa's perfect figure!)

 
At 8/30/2005 01:22:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I forgot about the skin tight uniforms. That would be kind of miserable and you're right, the staff is always on duty. That might be okay with the Filipinos, but not with the spoiled American nurses like me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home