web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Blood, Slobber, Urine, Vomit and More Blood

My favorite patient tonight was admitted with anemia. That doesn't sound very exciting, but there's more to the story. He came to the ER because of a head wound. He had been struck on the head because he had been caught in bed with another man's girlfriend, even though, as he said, We wasn't doin nuthin."

When he came to the ER his blood alcohol level was almost four times the legal limit. The heavy drinking had led to a platelet disorder so he was now a "bleeder"and severely anemic. Even his gums were bleeding, and with his tendency to drool, bloody slobber sometimes ran down his chin.

Of course it was on my shift that the DT's started. He was shaking so violently that I had to place pills in his mouth and hold his water cup to his lips. At the same time, bloody drool was running down his chin.

He looked to be in his sixties, but he was actually a few years younger than I am. Oh, and did I mention that he was also incontinent?"

We debated putting his roommate in another room so that he wouldn't have to endure that strong, old urine smell in the room. Despite our efforts to clean him and the linens, he still reeked. But then the roommate vomited and the room smelled of acidic vomit, so we decided to keep those two patients together. We try to separate clean patients from dirty patients.

There was also some excitement when a patient was found on the floor lying in a pool of blood. She had knee replacement surgery earlier in the day and she decided that it would be a good idea to go for a walk. In the process, her drain came out causing blood to pour over the floor. The anesthesia caused her to lose her mind, hopefully only temporarily. When a patient is almost one hundred years old, as she was, those things happen. She's tied up now and appears to be okay.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 8/30/2005 05:19:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh Melissa, you have the patience of a saint.
Not surprised about the woman losing her mind due to the anesthetic. When i was giving birth to my daughter, another woman was in a birthing suite next to me, she was given an epidural and instead of it numbing from waist down it did the reverse and went up to her head, she was in a bad way for a few days but eventually came good.

 
At 8/30/2005 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

You have to see so much at work. I definitely couldn't handle it as well as you.

 
At 8/30/2005 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

When anesthesiologists do spinals, it's not unusual to have an oops. Usually when they get the wrong spot, it simply doesn't work and they have to put the patient under general. I've never heard of what happened to that poor OB patient. That must have been terrifying.

Michelle and Brandy, it's amazing the things that you can adjust to. De-sensitization happens quickly (either that or people drop out of nursing school).

 
At 8/30/2005 12:33:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

Hells bells...I was trying to eat dinner when I read this!!! I admire you, I just couldn't deal with your job!...I can't even deal with my dinner now! heh

 
At 8/30/2005 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

And everyone wonders why there is a nursing shortage! Is it too late for us to go to school to become a mortician? I hear the patient's don't scream at you and assault you nearly as much!

 
At 8/30/2005 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sorry, Gemmak. I don't recommend reading my blog while eating, unless you're trying to diet.

Becoming a mortician does sound tempting, except that I really hate dealing with grieving families and I'm not all that crazy about dead people either. They can be kind of gross sometimes.

 
At 8/30/2005 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

All hardships aside; your job is never boring, is it?! ;-)

 
At 8/31/2005 10:24:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, actually it does get boring. It's all themes and variations of the same song played over and over again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home