web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Partying Around Death

Work had a cocktail party atmosphere this evening with staff laughing and talking while snacking on Filipino mango cake and coffee. Disgusting photos were passed around for entertainment. The favorite was of an excoriated anal area that resembled a pink flower. (I would have published a picture, but even I have limits.)

While we were having so much fun, one of the patients was dying. Nothing could be done except to try and keep her comfortable. Her morphine drip was high enough to kill ten people, but it just made her barely comfortable.

Tearful family members visit and can hear us laughing. Perhaps we should adopt a more serious demeanor, but this has been going on for days and will probably continue for several more. That's too long to pretend to be somber.

I hope that they understand our behavior is not meant to be callous. Our jokes relieve tension and make an otherwise bad situation tolerable. But when I laugh, I feel guilty.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 8/12/2005 09:14:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

You need a release when you work around so much depressing stuff, you know? Give yourself a break. You have a good heart.

 
At 8/12/2005 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Brandy.

 
At 8/13/2005 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Simply goes to show your human Melissa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home